Chapter 8

The next morning Aryanna woke before Kalya. She got up silently with out waking the girl and slipped out of their room. She started the fire to chase out the early morning chill. She quickly made up some porridge, getting it ready so that Kalya could eat when she woke up, which Aryanna expected she would any moment. 

“Morning Arya,” came a little voice from the doorway to their room. Aryanna turned around. 

“Good morning Kaly,” she answered. “Breakfast is ready, come eat, we need to get a move on,” she said setting a bowl down at Kalya’s seat. Kalya climbed onto the chair and sat down. She waited for Aryanna to sit down also. 

“Come on, eat up,” Aryanna  said beginning to eat. She looked up when she noticed Kalya wasn’t eating.

“What’s wrong?” she asked. 

“I had a nightmare last night,” Kalya answered, resting her elbows on the table, her chin in her hands. “I can’t stop thinking about it,” she said sadly. 

“What happened?” she asked. 

“It was really confusing, but you and I were going some where, and Sheridan was with us, and so were two others, but I don’t know them. And I was sad in the dream, and so were you, even though you wouldn’t say it. We weren’t in the woodlands either. Or on the plains, I didn’t recognize anything. I just know we were really sad, and James wasn’t with us,” she said sadly. 

Aryanna frowned. “I’m sure it isn’t anything, don’t let it bother you, hun,” she said smiling encouragingly. Kalya nodded, but didn’t smile, she ate her porridge silently. Once she was done, she collected hers and Aryanna’s dishes, she put it in the bucket of water from the night before. Aryanna stood and banked the fire.

“Ready?” she asked moving to the door, carrying a sack. Kalya nodded and they left the house. 

Kalya clutched Aryanna’s arm suddenly. “Arya! There is that one that was so angry with you yesterday!” she said her voice at a whisper. Aryanna looked to where Kalya was looking. She saw Adin watching her, a cocky smile on his face. She turned down the other way, forcing Kalya to walk quickly. They got away from the village quickly. Aryanna looked over her shoulder. She let out a silent sight of relief, Adin hadn’t followed them. 

“Are we never safe from him now?” Kalya asked somberly. She looked up at Aryanna, her face solemn, her eyes showing that she was frightened. 

“I don’t know, I hope he tires of his game soon, for now though, we have to be careful, for some reason he hates us,” Aryanna answered. “But don’t worry, I’ll keep you safe,” she promised. Kalya nodded and took Aryanna’s hand. 

“I’ll try not to worry, but,” she hesitated. “I don’t want you to get hurt while trying to keep me safe,” she said with out looking at Aryanna. Aryanna smiled slightly.

“I’ll be fine,” she said. 

Kalya shook her head. “Not if you face that man again with just your daggers and he with a sword!” she said. “That’s why I am worried about you,” she said. 

“Well thanks, have some faith in me,” she said poking Kalya in the shoulder. Kalya giggled but then became serious again. 

“Maybe you and I should be taught by Sheridan,” she said. Aryanna shook her head, chuckling. 

“We will have to think about it more then,” she said. Kalya nodded. 

“What do we have to get at the market?” Kalya asked as they walked along. 

“Seeds mostly,” Aryanna said. Kalya nodded. 

“What’s in the sack?” she asked. 

“Meat, I’m going to sell it at the market and buy the seeds after, like we do every spring” Aryanna explained. 

“I take it we are not going to be filling the water and bathing today?” Kalya asked after a few moments of silence. 

“Depends on when we get back from the market,” Aryanna answered. 

“Oh,” Kalya said. 

Aryanna laughed. “You haven’t bathed in months!” she said. 

“I know, I know,” Kalya said. 

They walked mostly in silence to the edge of the Woodlands. Kalya looked out in the direction of James’ small village. 

“We’re so close to him, but we can’t go,” she said. Aryanna nodded and looked at the sun. 

“Come on, the Market is going to be over in a little over two hours, we have to get there soon, I’m sorry, we have to wait to see James tomorrow,” she said. 

“Alright, I guess I understand,” Kalya said. Aryanna led the way across the plains towards the plains city.