Chapter 31

“Aryanna, we should probably stop here don’t you think?” Sheridan asked coming up between her and James. 

Aryanna had been just walking automatically, she had been lost in thoughts, planning. She looked around and saw that it was getting to be dusk. 

“Sure, let’s stop here, let’s start collecting wood for a fire,” she said. 

They all nodded and split up. Aryanna went with James. “Are you doing alright?” she asked. 

James nodded. “I still have a headache, sometimes I get dizzy spells,” he said.  

“I’m glad to see that you have been able to make it today, not tiring as fast?” She asked as she stacked wood into her arms. 

“Not as fast, I’m not going to fall behind though,” he said. 

Aryanna nodded, “Here, stack more wood into my arms,” she said.

“Any thoughts on how you are going to get the two people together?” James asked after it was quiet for a moment. 

Aryanna adjusted the wood in her arms as he added more. “Not really, it’s going to take a lot of cooperation from both sides. I don’t know if they will listen. I don’t know if it has been to long for them to get along again. Everything fell apart so quickly after the last leader died. In addition there are so many grudges that run deep. I don’t know if I can spin the words like the other leader did to get everyone to trust him. It’s all going to be so hard to get right. Say the wrong thing, and no one will listen, and then Adonis will win and everyone will become like how you were!” Aryanna stopped and bit her lip. 

James cupped her face in his hands. “You need to calm down. We still have a day and a half or so left of traveling, I’m sure you will get the right words,” he said. 

Aryanna smiled slightly. “Thanks,” she said. He nodded and continued picking up wood and stacking it in his arms. They headed back to where the others were waiting and set their contribution of wood down where the others had. 

Sheridan was starting a fire while Rayne was taking out their dried food. 

“What should we do with all this?” Rayne asked. 

“Just make a stew or something,” Sheridan said abruptly as he concentrated on making the fire. 

Rayne raised an eyebrow at him but took out a pot.  “Aryanna, do you mind helping me?” she asked as she and Kalya started to make it.

Aryanna brushed off her hands and knelt with them. 

James hung back watching all of them doing their different tasks, he didn’t belong with them. 

Sheridan glanced up and met James’ gaze. 

James looked away almost immediately, turning away. 

“James,” Sheridan said. 

James turned back around and looked guardedly at him, waiting for Sheridan to continue. 

“Do you mind helping me with this?” he asked abruptly. 

James hesitated, surprised.

“Well?” Sheridan prompted. 

James nodded quickly and dropped down next to him. He helped coax a flame out of the sparks. He stood and stepped back. 

“Thanks,” Sheridan said. 

James nodded and made a dismissive gesture with a hand.  

He offered to help Aryanna but she told him she was fine. He sat down a little ways away, clasping his hands around his knees, staring at the ground.  Sheridan came and sat down next to him.