Thunderstorm

Edmund's eyes snapped open at the very first flash at lightening, his heart skipping a beat as the room was lit up and then went dark again, save for the dim light shining through the curtains from the lampposts outside. 

He lay there for a moment, taking slow, even breaths until he heard the faint rumble of thunder in the distance. He'd remembered that once his Dad had told him that if you count how many seconds there were between the flash and the rumble, then that was how many miles away the storm was. So at the next flash, despite his pounding heart, he began counting. 

He winced when the thunder came, swallowing hard when he stopped counting at fifteen... the storm was fifteen miles away, and when he counted on the third flash, it was fourteen miles away, which meant it was getting closer.

Being nine years old he didn't exactly like thunder storms, which is why the second the thunder had gone silent, he crawled from his bed and headed over to Peter, who was fast asleep in his own bed, obviously un alarmed by the storm so much that it hadn't even woken him up. 

Edmund's heart picked up speed at the next flash of lightening, freezing in the middle of the room until he heard the thunder eight seconds later, much louder than the last one. 

Hurrying the rest of the way to Peter's bed, he slowly and hesitantly sat down on the edge, wondering if he should wake him or not. 

He looked towards the window when another flash lit up the room, followed almost instantly by an extremely loud rumble of thunder, which was more like a horrific "boom" if Edmund was honest.

This woke Peter up, but not exactly in the best way. 

He sat bolt upright, eyes snapping open as his forehead collided with Edmund's, sending Edmund to the floor where he also wacked his head on the handle of one of the draws to Peter's bedside table. 

And after that he remembered no more.

A twelve year old Peter sat there for a moment, groaning and rubbing his forehead, half thinking that there would be a sizeable bruise forming there any minute, but when lightening lit up the room and thunder deafened him, his heart skipped a beat.

Edmund hated storms, and he eventually realised that he had been the something he'd hit his head on when woke up, and quickly opened his eyes and looked down. 

He was shocked to see Edmund, laying on his back on the floor, eyes closed, not moving.

"Ed?" Peter murmered, sounding slightly scared. "Edmund?" 

When his brother didn't answer him, Peter leapt from the bed and knelt by his side, giving him a gentle shake. "Eddy?" He asked. "Wake up." 

But when this didn't work, Peter swallowed hard, reaching up and feeling around his head, noticing a large lump on the back, and after realising that Edmund had hit his head on the bedside table, his stomach did a flip.

"Mum!" He screamed. "Dad!" His voice cracked, tears filling his eyes. "Dad!" 

No less than ten seconds later the door burst open and the light was flicked on, his Mum and Dad running into the room, both looking as scared as each other.

"Peter!" Their Mum exclaimed after seeing the scene in front of her. "What happened?" 

Peter was in tears by this point. "I - The thunder made me jump, I - I sat up too quick and we - we bumped heads, then - then he hit his head on - on the bedside table- I - I think I - I killed him! He won't wake up!" He all but shouted the last sentence, voice full of fear.

"Peter." His dad cut him off, kneeling down beside his two sons. "Breathe okay? It's going to be okay, Edmund will be fine." As he said this he checked over Edmund's head, before pressing his fingers to his neck. "See? He's alive, you haven't killed him, I promise, He's just unconscious."