Chapter 9: Take Me Away

-Aiko-

July 4th,2020~ 8:44 a.m

I was a ghoul. Something I never dreamed or wanted to be. I just wanted to be normal. I never wanted any of this. I felt a familiar heat surround my body and in the distance, I could hear screaming and words that I couldn't make out. My consciousness slowly began to return to me and I could hear what they were saying. It sounded like Eto and Ayato.

"She is a ghoul but partly. Since the potion I created was not all the way complete, she won't have great regeneration like us yet. Hers will be very slow but within time, it could become stronger. We have to be very careful when the mission approaches in a few months. She will get trained to protect herself but I have no certainty that her regeneration will get stronger by that time. I know she can regenerate herself but that's limited. When that's up, what will we do if she gets seriously hurt? She could eventually die."

"I just have to be careful around her and when she needs help, I'll be there to protect her. I can't hurt her more than I already did." Ayato sighed. By the time he said that, my consciousness was back. I peeled my eyes open and touched my head realizing that is was wrapped. I must've bump my head really hard or something. 

I sat up quickly causing my eyes to black out momentarily and I felt nauseous. I groaned causing Eto and Ayato's head to turn to me. When his eyes hit mine, they grew wide.

"You're awake. You hit your head pretty hard so you were out cold for pretty much a whole day. Are you okay? What happened?" I didn't answer his question but instead I said this.

"Did you turn me into a ghoul?" Shock and frustration etched onto his face but he nodded slowly. Tears slowly ran down my face and it became hard for me to breath. "W-why did you do it?"

I noticed that Eto had already left the room, giving us some privacy. Ayato shook his head and even though my eyes were blurry, I could see his eyes getting glossy and then one tear slipped. He reached out for my hand, sniffing.

"You died right in front of me. You fucking died and it's all my fault. I didn't...control myself when you offered to give me your flesh." He stopped gulping as he broke down,placing his forehead on the top of my hand.

"I killed you and when I realized how stupid I was and how selfish, I wanted to get you back however I could. I wanted to tell you I was sorry and I'm ashamed to admit this but when I'm around you, I don't know but I'm just happy. I've never been happy in a long time. I've never even cried until you came. You've completely changed me and I don't know what'd I do without you, Aiko." His voice turned into a whisper and he began sobbing.

I didn't know what to say. The only thing on my mind was that I was a ghoul. Just thinking about it made me want to do things I never thought of. I pulled my hand from his grip and he looked at me, his eyes displaying sadness. A tear trickled down my face and I wiped it away.

"I never wanted this to happen. I never wanted to be a ghoul. I just wanted to be normal. I don't even know myself anymore. I just want to die." Ayato's eyes widened and he grasped my shoulders so tight, I winced.

"You will not die. I brought you back. Just because you're a ghoul doesn't mean you can't still live your life. You just can't eat human foods but you can drink coffee and water. You just have to feed every month or so." His eyes showed hope but that quickly faded when he saw my eyes change and flare with anger.

"I don't want that. I don't want to eat innocent beings. If I never went to the alleyway, we would've never met and none of this would've happened. You know, just go please. I can't do this."

Ayato's mouth began to open but I glared at him and he stood up. "You're going to need flesh soon." He said this before walking out. I shook my head. "Oh no, I won't."

I laid down in bed, closing my eyes and slowly began to fall asleep.

----------

July 8th,2020~9:20 a.m

Days had past and all I did was stay in bed. Sometimes I would feel a faint hunger brew in my stomach but I controlled myself. Sometimes my mouth would water thinking about a piece of flesh but as soon as it appeared, I made it disappear.

Ayato would come in everyday begging me to go feed but I refused. I couldn't do that. I noticed that my body was becoming thin but I didn't care. But there's was something I was curious of. I leaned and opened my drawer, pulling out my bag of Doritos(Yes I know it's weird but when I was human, I was hungry at night. Don't judge me!). I opened the bag, the smell hitting my nose. Usually it would smell good but this time it smelled gross. I put my hand into the bag, taking one out.

As soon as I placed it in my mouth and started chewing, I jumped out of bed, running to the bathroom and threw up in the toilet. It was so disgusting. Ghouls couldn't eat human food. Now I can't even eat my favorite vanilla Oreos. I walked back to the room grabbing the chip bag before walking back to the bathroom.

I kneeled in front of the toilet before grabbing a bunch of Doritos in my hand. I shoved them into my mouth, forcefully chewing them despite how horrible they tasted. My throat began contracting when I wanted to swallow and I vomited. I wanted to try other foods so that's what I did. I grabbed all my favorite snacks, piling them up next to the toilet.

I opened the pack of Oreos and placed one in my mouth. When I bit and began to chew, it tasted a bit sweet but the aftertaste tasted like shit and I threw that up.

.

.

.

.

9:50 a.m

Moments later, my back was rested against the wall and my body felt completely drained. I couldn't even move and my mouth tasted bitter. I had tasted all the food and they tasted and smell horrid. My body felt so bad that I was dry heaving. My stomach kept clenching so tight, it was painful. I stared at the food littered on the bathroom floor before a sharp pain ran through me causing me to scream.

Suddenly I heard the door open and looked up to see Tatara standing there, his eyes wide. He ran to my side and cradled me in his arms.

"Aiko! Aiko! You aren't supposed to be eating these types of food. Did you eat all of this? You can die from this! AIKO, ANSWER ME! DON'T YOU DARE FALL ASLEEP ON ME!"

I nodded my head slowly. "That's what I want. I want to die." My eyes began to close and he began to franticly shake me.

"Aiko, stay awake. Please don't fall asleep. Stay awake!" He kept pleading before hoisting me up and running out the bathroom, placing me on the bed. Soon enough, his voice had gotten distant and I was thrown into my escape.

Darkness, please take me away.