Chapter 13

A/N: hi besties. update for you. a lot happened so i wasn't able to write but i'm back now. enjoy.

Jack and I amble into the quiet street. Foot traffic was low as it was still early morning. The occasional pirate lay in an alleyway or propped against a shop, sleeping off the drink from the night before. "I'm off to rouse the crew back onboard with the cargo, I'll meet you at the Pearl. Ask Ajay to make ready to be off for me Darling?"

"Aye Cap'n." I tease with a hand pointed in salute, which was met with a kiss.

"You recall where we docked yesterday?"

"Down past the smithy." I pointed behind us and Jack nodded approvingly.

"I won't be long." He squeezed my hand and sauntered off peering into shops for the familiar faces of the crew. I turn and begin walking in the opposite direction toward the ship.   

I allow my mind to wander as I could hardly believe that I was to be Jack's partner. What that entailed I wasn't exactly sure, but it must involve some influence over the Black Pearl's command. I wasn't naïve, I still have much to learn about the managing of a ship, so I would defer to Jack and the crew's expertise for now. The idea of having something, a place that is my own filled me with excited anticipation, never mind the fact that I would share that tangible expression of belonging with the man I was beginning to fall in love with. 'Love.' I thought. The word didn't spark caution in me as much anymore, we would have time to learn more about each other, to form new memories as we had already begun doing. 'No,' I thought. 'Loving Jack is nothing to fear. What will come will come.'

A door to the sword smith swings open forcefully. I stop in my tracks as out steps Barbossa, with a new sword in hand. "Good morning, Barbossa." I nod my head in greeting.

"Tis a fine one, me Siren." He saunters over to me, angling the blade to catch the sun's rays.

"You just had that one commissioned?" I inquired about the dazzling weapon.

"Aye," He flipped the sword so that the handle was outstretched to me. "Give her a go, Lass."

I take the handle and admire the smith's handiwork. "It's very well made." I say in truth, not letting my suspicious regard for the first mate rise from my core and into my manners.

"My compliments to its maker." I hold the sword out for its owner to take. He does so, brushing my hand as he retrieves the weapon. 'God, the nails never cease to amaze.' I hope the thought didn't escape into my placid expression.

"Come, I'll escort ye back to the Pearl, Darlin." Barbossa angles the crook of his arm for me to take.

I wrack my brain for an excuse not to take it. Explaining that I had occasional bouts of leprosy came to mind. "Why, thank you, but it looks like you've got your hands full with the new addition." I cock my neck toward the sword. "I wouldn't wish to damage it somehow."

"Nonsense, it'd be me greatest pleasure to have yer comp'ny for a while." His salacious grin didn't fool me, I knew beneath the surface lay a challenge and a deep resentment toward rejection. A feeling simmered in my gut that intuitively told me to submit.

I acquiesce to his persistence and slip my arm through his outstretched one. "As you wish."

Satisfied, Barbossa begins strolling down the empty street toward the ship, me at his side. "I trust ye had favorable accommodations this past night."

'Oh, you've got no idea.' I thought and swallowed a chortle. "Extremely favorable. I find Tortuga to be one of the most charming places I've visited. I appreciate you all allowing me to experience it."