Chapter 14

"Get up an' dress yourself." I feel the piercing blade of a knife pressing onto my throat.

My eyes snap open and my heart begins to pound in my ears. The knife startled me so suddenly that my mind could not place whose voice had commanded me to rise.

"Alright, alright." I try to assert the calmest voice i could muster, trapping the molten fear beneath my throat so as not to allow my voice to quiver. I hold both hands outstretched and slowly angle my head to face the voice in the dark. A shadow of a short balding man stood before me, whose gruff voice became clear. "Pintel?"

The pirate lowered his eyes in shame or embarrassment and then snapped his head back up. "Yeah, yeah, alright. Wake up sleepin' beauty over 'ere." He motioned to Jack with his free hand, the knife dropped somewhat with the motion.

I eyed Jack's pistol on the bedside table.

"I wouldn't think about that if I was you." Regetti's voice drifted from the doorframe and I met his eyes. He was aiming a pistol toward Jack's head. Worry rushed throughout my body and my hands began to shake.

I swallow and muster a mildly concerned look. "Can I ask why, men?" My eyes flit between the pirates, searching for an answer.

"Captain's orders." Pintel grunts and throws my skirts to me forcefully.

Without taking my eyes off of Pintel and Regetti, I softly tap Jack's shoulder. "Jack, wake up. We've got company."

It was mutiny, I knew it. What other explanation could there be for this intrusion into the captain's quarters.

"Eh? What?" Jack roused from sleep and immediately felt the stiffness in my body and saw my wide-eyed expression. He snapped to attention and tried to sit up in bed.

I blocked his torso from making a sudden move with my forearm. "Sh, slow." I utter in a tone I hoped only he could hear.

"Dress yourself, Sparrow." Pintel commanded. "By order of the captain."

Jack held his hands out and opened his body toward the men. "Gentlemen, what is the meaning of this? Wakin' up your captain in the dead of night..."

"You ain't the captain no more." Pintel angled the knife toward Jack and I heard the definite click of a gun ready to be fired.

"I say we get up, and see what all this is about, hm?" I say to Jack but loud enough for the pirates to hear. Jacks' wide eyes meet mine and we share a look: we would need to formulate a plan. Jack held the sheet up to me as I dressed, as I did for him. We slowly edge to stand with our hands lifted, as Pintel and Regetti got behind us, weapons raised.

"Jack, it's a mutiny." I hoarsely whisper.
"I know, darlin'" Jack returned the whisper with an even tone so as not to raise suspicion. "Get behind me if they start firing, understand?"

My eyes widen at the thought of active shooting and I softly nod.

At the sight of our conversing, Regetti shoves me forward. "Eh, there's no need for any of that..."

Jack turns his body toward them and is met with the pistol inches from his face.

"Keep it moving Jack." Pintel's tone warns.

Once we reach the deck, we are met with men's voices buzzing raucously in the night and bustling weapons being pulled from their sheaths. A crowd has formed and Regetti pushes us through, Pintel still at our backs with the pistol. Jack grips my forearm and pulls me slightly behind him at an angle. Pintel pushes us with a hand on each of our backs as we break through the sweat-soaked belligerent horde of crewmates. My eyes meet the deck as I stumble to catch my balance, failing and falling to my knees onto the deck.