Chapter 20

While Gibbs goes out and finds our crew, we find an inn to stay in. It looks like every other inn on Tortuga, but it has rooms and beds, so that's enough. Jack hands the owner three bottles of rum and a shilling, getting two rooms. "Not sharing a room with Turner," he mutters as he's handed the keys. We head up and before we go off to our rooms Jack tells Will he can go wherever, but we're leaving this inn as soon as the sun rises the day after tomorrow-- since the end of this day is already nearing. Knowing Jack and I, we'll be late, but it's better to assure Will doesn't get lost.

Our room is simple. A single bed, a dresser, a bucket of water and a standing mirror. There's an open window, the breeze blowing the light curtains into the room. A strange calmness washes over me, as if the future suddenly seems more certain. I know it's not, anything could happen at any moment, but at last Jack and I are alone, where there's no immediate danger. The worry of losing Jack at any point in time has momentarily been removed, so breathing has become easier.

Hands tenderly wrap around my waist, a kiss planted on my cheek. I'm rocked a little, side to side, as more kisses are placed on my neck. "What are you thinking of, my love?" He whispers.

"You. Being safe." A soft chuckle sounds comes from Jack and his hands take off the large belt around my waist, letting it drop to the ground. The belt holding my cutlass and pistol also falls to the ground. "Jack," I whisper.

"Yes?"

"Be gentle."

"Always." He steps in front of me and lifts my chin up to gaze into my eyes. "Have I ever been rough?"

I shake my head. "I just want to savor this moment I have with you. It's been too long since we've had this: Being... alone while being secure."

He smiles, a somber look in his eyes. "Do you sometimes wish we were anyone else? Living in a town, our future set in stone?"

I brush his hair over his shoulder and shake my head, "no. Then we wouldn't be us. I am happy like this." I lean closer to him, brushing my lips against his.

"I'm glad." He seals the kiss, and pulls me closer to him, his arms tightly around my waist. With a stumble he falls back onto the bed, laughing when he lands on his back. He leans up on his elbow when I take off the small chain hanging off my skirt, followed by my scabbard. I pause when I feel his gaze on me. He gestures, "go on dear."

I scoff and gently swat him, but I do pull off my blouse, almost a light brown now because of how long I've worn it. The dark red, knee length skirt follows. Last but not least, my red headscarf. The only time that comes off is when I'm with Jack, though there isn't an actual reason for that. Maybe it's because I've become attached to it, since it was the first thing I got from Jack. Or it's the first thing I got when I went pirate. Maybe a combination of both. My thoughts are disrupted when his hands are holding my waist, and he's pushed me into the bed.

- - - -

The sun is colored a beautiful orange as the sun starts to rise by the time we're lying in bed, fingers intertwined, arms around each other and legs tangled. Jack has rested his chin on my shoulder, occasionally whispering sweet nothings in my ear.

Somehow, we manage to get out of bed and get dressed, which happened with many protests from Jack. I asked him if we should check on Will as we passed his door in the hallway, but Jack dismissed it with a wave of his hand. "He's a big lad, he'll be fine."

Arm in arm, we walk through the streets, nodding at some people who glance at us. A few things catch my eye: A small necklace with lovely pieces of coral and sea glass. Jack sees me looking at it and buys it without question. I ask him to braid it into my hair, which he happily does. I also see a beautiful, dark red, velvet jacket. The seller lets me try it on -- Jack holding my coat-- and it was a perfect fit. The jacket was made to be cropped up to my waist, making it look elegant. Soft swirls of gold thread are sown in the material, making me nervous about the price. The seller puts the price down 5 shillings because she believes it was meant for me. We gladly accept the discount and thank her conspicuously.