Chapter 17

Hi bestiees. Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been applying for unis, which was stressful. But its all done now, so more frequent updates! whoo!

- - -

Sitting in the brig on my own is not something I haven't experienced before. But having five men on the other sides of the bars, whistling at a dog, is something new. 

I block them out and sit on the small stool, keeping my face by the small window, going through everything that's happened. Jack and I came to Port Royal to commandeer a ship, which failed. Elizabeth and Mr. Swann saw me again. I was arrested and Jack is running somewhere.

The thing that stuck by me the most is the fact that the commodore seemed to be as familiar with my name as with Jack's. I had always considered Jack to be the most known pirate out there. His reputation is larger than he likes to take credit for, which is understandable. But i had never realized that the things I did would be remembered by my name. I knew I'd be worried but it seems much more real now. 

Honestly, I'm proud. I've become what my parents always wanted me to, and I'm carrying on their legacy. With the added bonus that i'm doing it all by the side of someone I love. What a life.

The whistling of the other men stops when a door to the brig is opened and footsteps can be heard on the steps. Jack is brought into the cell. The door is shut, and we're left alone. He sighs and slumps against the wall, "all that trouble for nothing, all because of a boy."

To console him I get off the stool and lean against the wall. He sits down beside me and lies his head on my shoulder, then tells me how the escape went and what he thinks went wrong. Later in the evening we're sitting on opposite ends of the cell, trying to get some rest. Jack has put his hat over his eyes and is sitting in the corner where the bars meet the wall. He looks proper mysterious, sitting like that. The light is doing wonderful things to his cheekbones, and his side profile is always wonderful.

Although, I share his annoyance when the men in the other cell start to try to get the dog to come to them again. "You can keep doing that forever, but the dog is never going to move," Jack finally speaks up.

"Oh excuse us, we haven't resigned ourselves to the gallows just yet." One of the men retorts, glancing at Jack and I. Jack just smirks, some of the gold on his teeth glistens. I can't help but think that if we weren't in here with those other men I'd be doing something very different right now.

Distant cannon fire disturbs every thought I'm having. Jack jumps up right away, "I know those cannons." He crouches beside me and peaks out the window. "It's the Pearl," there's a deep and dark emotion to his voice, something the men next to us mistake for common spookiness.

"The Black Pearl?" A man holds on to the bar of the cell, his voice has a slight shake to it. "I've heard stories. She's been preying on ships and settlements for nearly ten years. Never leaves any survivors."

"No survivors?" I lean against the wall next to Jack.

Jack looks at the men, "then where do the stories come from, I wonder?" He finishes for me. The men frown and look at each other. 

As the night goes on we watch the Black Pearl firing at the port, and watch it's crew run around, pillaging as they go. At last they fire directly at the brig, shooting a cannonball straight through the room. Unfortunately for us, it only broke through the wall of the cell Jack and I aren't in, setting the other men free. "Shame for you, buggers." One of the men tips his hat at us and scrambles over the rock.

Jack heavily sighs and sits back down. I can tell he's dealing with some emotions he doesn't know how to handle, so I sit down next to him and hug his arm. "So the Pearl is here. After searching for it for 4 years. How're you feeling about that?" I look at him.