Chapter 15

The last two days were horrible. 

First Jack had to take the bullet out my shoulder, using nothing but his fingers. Then he cauterized the wound by heating the metal of the pistol in a fire, and well, the rest didn't need to be explained. 

We had no food, since the coconuts were unripe and we had no way to possibly break them. The only possibly good thing was that I wasn't bleeding out due to Jack's fast action, but that was about it.

On the evening of the second day, we laid beside each other on the beach, looking at the sky. "See my dear, it isn't all bad here." Jack lazily said.

I chuckled a little, appreciating his optimism "At the moment? Not really." The crackling of the fire behind us was somewhat comforting. "Let's hope someone sees the fire, or the smoke. You used the one shot we had."

"Do you think one of us could have really offed ourselves with the other watching?"

"Probably not. But if we really became that desperate, there would be no hope either ways."

Jack nods. "Fair enough, Love." He can't seem to hide a smirk as it forms on his face. My eyes widen, curious about what he's so pleased about. "Considering," he pauses, "that they gave us two shots. We've one left, but we won't use it here. I won't have it."

I can't believe it, they knew he'd save me, and left us to kill each other. The thought of me firing a bullet into Jack's head appears in my mind, almost making me burst into tears. I don't cry easily, but that realization alone -- knowing that I might have to kill him-- is enough. There's no way I would let him kill me, it would drive him insane. "I really don't want to die here," I voice a small portion of my thoughts. "I wanted to do things with you."

"What did you want to do?"

"Marry you one day. Have some children of our own who would enjoy the air of the oceans. Perhaps we could've ruled the seas." This is true. I've thought of our future plenty of times. I've imaged a wedding, and later small children pattering around on our ship. 

"Really?" His voice went higher in tone, surprised. "Ruling the seas?"

"Come on, you're Captain Jack Sparrow. You're practically halfway there."

"And you're a Baudin." He leaned on an elbow, looking at me, letting my name speak for his point. "I don't want the sea to have a ruler. Each man for himself, eh?" An eyebrow was raised in question.

"That sounds wonderful."

"And I will definitely acquire a better crew than the idiotic mutineers we just left behind."

"I can't believe they were going to drown me."

"Well, my dear, I do not think that was their intention. Why give us two shots instead of one?" He took my hand and kissed my fingers. "They knew I'd free you. They want us to suffer, and possibly want one of us to kill the other in the end."

"That's barbaric." It sounded even worse now that I heard someone else say it.

A smirk formed on his face. "Pirates."

I groaned and slumped into his lap. "How much longer do you think we'll be stuck here?" I felt him dig through his pockets, the small clack of his compass opening.

"Ehh. Not far."

I frown. "That's not a proper answer."

"Come with me." He pulled me to my feet with him. 

I followed him over the small island until we got to a very crooked tree. "While you were still napping 'cause of your wonderful wound, I did some exploring." He pushed some sand aside, and pulled up a trapdoor. "See, this is a rum cellar."

"A rum cellar..." I repeated plainly, not surprised at all that Jack was able to find it.

"Aye. I was trying to pull some coconuts from the tree here," he leaned against said tree, "and fell on it. Made a lovely thud it did. Apparently," he took my hand again, "some trade merchants make a stop here every so often. So," he puts my arm around his shoulder, "they should be here soon."

I lightly laughed. Why I'm surprised at this, I wouldn't know. He is somewhat of a miracle worker. "Oh Jackie," I sigh, my hopes slightly raised. 

"Right? All on me own I found that out."

I kissed his cheek and skipped back to the fire.

Just like Jack had predicted, a ship appeared on the horizon on the evening of the third day. I saw it as Jack was attempting to pillage the cellar. 

"Jack!" I yelled as I ran towards him. "They're coming!"

His head poked out of the cellar. "Huh?" His eyes twitched. With several rum bottles in his hands he crawled out of the cellar. "Well, we better drink these lovelies before they arrive, then." He put a bottle in my hand.

"Don't you think it'd be better if we had our wits when they arrive?"

He turned to me, his hand out into his iconic stance, keeping his balance. "Well, my darling, I think it's the opposite so they have some mercy on poor, mindless, starved fools who happened to be stranded on their island. Savvy?" He winked.

He didn't even need to wink for me to understand. 

The cork came off with a small pull of my teeth. I held up the bottle to clink with him. "To a drunk rescue."

"Aye." He clinked it with a smirk, and we both drank several bottles of rum. To be honest, it was a lovely experience to be absolutely drunk with him. He's even funnier, or perhaps that was just my drunk mind warping everything I saw, thought and heard. 

What a clever plan.