Chapter 18

"HEY! WAKE UP!"

Jack accidentally elbows me in the side, making me fall over. I lean up on my elbows and look at whoever woke us up: Some young, deer-eyed bloke. 

Jack is still sitting against the wall, blinking the sleep out his eyes and pushing his hat off his eyes. 

"You, Sparrow!" the boy calls. 

"Aye!" Jack yells back, still startled at the sudden appearance of the boy.

"You're familiar with that ship, the Black Pearl?"

"I've heard of it," Jack mutters.

"Where does it make berth?"

Jack laughs. "Where does it make berth?" He finally pushes his hat off his eyes to make eye contact with the young man. "Have you not heard the stories?" 

We both look at him expectantly, but when he simply blinks, Jack sits up, leaning back on his arms and tilting his head at the amusing lad. 

"Captain Barbossa and his crew of miscreants sail from the dreaded Isla de Muerta," I inform him, not giving a single shit that I'm telling him all this. He's most likely to die soon, seeing that he's most likely determined to go after the Pearl. I brush back my hair and tighten the headscarf, sensing that something is about to happen.

"Which can not be found, except," Jack holds up a finger, "by those who already know where it is."

The bloke has bigger eyes than before, which seemed impossible at first glance, but it's happened. "The ship's real enough, therefore its anchorage must be a real place. Where is it?"

"Why ask us?" I examine my nails.

"Because you're pirates."

I look up and raise an eyebrow, "and you want to turn pirate yourself, is that it?"

The lad grabs the bars and leans closer to us, looking intense. "Never." Jack and I look at each other, both looking as unimpressed as we feel. "They took miss Swann," the boy sighs, defeated. 

Jack sits up, "ooh! So it is that you've found a girl. I see." 

I frown at Jack, his eyes twitch a little, telling me he'll update me later. 

"Well if you're intending to brave all," Jack gestures extravagantly, "hasten to her rescue, and so win fair lady's heart... you'll have to do it alone mate." Jack innocently smiles. "I see no profit in it for us."

Now, I know that's not true, and he knows it too. But we know exactly how to get what we want, and Jack is doing a wonderfully good job of that, guessing by the lad's confused and dazed expression.

"I can get you out of here."

"How's that? The key's run off." Jack is referencing the dog that held the key, but ran off when Ajay and his friend walked in.

"I helped build these cells." The lad looks at the cells door. "These are half-pin barrel hinges." He picks up a bench and lodges it in between the bars. Is this promising? Yeah, definitely. Jack thinks so too when he raises his eyebrows at me. "With the right leverage, and the proper application of strength, the door will lift free." The boy looks proud of himself. I really don't know what to call him anymore, since he keeps proving himself to be some other thing than what I am calling him.

"What's your name, lad?" I lift my chin and crease my eyebrows.

"Will Turner."

Jack and I both recognize the name, but don't show it. "That would be short for William, I imagine. Good, strong name," Jack looks sympathetic, wondering if Will knows if he's a pirate, seeming that Will seems to hate pirates so much. "No doubt named for your father, eh?"