1...

EL'S POV

"el, darling!" i hear the front door get barged on and i stop what i'm doing to go open it.

jasmine smiles at me, "remember what day is it today?"

i sigh out quietly. stupid rent day.

"i'll have the rent by the end of the week, jasmine. i promise." i assure her.

after i fled and apparently died, the first thing i did was try to get my mothers will left for me. the money wasn't much but it was enough for me to survive.

i have a job at a nearby ice cream parlour and that is enough for me to pay the rent.

this apartment isn't ginormous but it's enough.

"dear, are you sure you're alright?" she asks me and i nod, "fine. i'm just missing a couple hundred that i'll get soon. my pay is delayed." i say.

i only need to care about rent. the rest of my stuff such as money for food is paid with money left by my mom.

i'm happy with a life like this.

"okay then. i'll leave you alone now." she smiles at me and i smile back and close the door.

with a quiet sigh, i use my finger and lift it up a bit, making my smoothie float across the kitchen island and over into my hand.

i sip on the plastic straw then grab my black mini backpack and head out the door to get to work.

as i head to the door, i realise that my keys were left on the kitchen island and i extend my arm out to that direction and it flies into my hand.

i spin it around my fingers with the ring of the keys then head out the door.

walking to the elevators, i look at my phone and scroll through instagram just to kill time.

just as i was about to exit the app though, i come across a post of mike's.

he looks happy. he really does.

i miss him, i really do. he was my best friend in a way though we definitely drifted apart the last few years before i had left.

the first year after i got adopted by hopper, we were inseparable. he was my first best friend but as time passed, we somehow grew apart.

i mean i get it, we were both teenagers going into high school and i had my own problems to deal with to not even bother to mend our relationship.

i'm pretty sure he would understand if he had found out what in the world i was going through.

but he didn't so i'm not quite sure why he didn't bother either.

maybe he just didn't really care. i understood though. he was growing popular, his family started to grow rich since their company started to run so smoothly and i was a nobody.

we just didn't match in a way.

i mean, who wanted to hang with a lab rat suicidal girl?

MIKE'S POV

as i twirl the glass in my hand, watching as the whiskey twirl and almost spill, i try to focus on the people present around the large meeting table.

it's pathetic how they try to please me but we all know this stupid idea of theirs won't.

anyone with a mind would know.