Chapter Twenty-Four

The Company gathered at Rivendell's entrance as Amara turned toward Elrond, who stood with Kenia, Valindra, Samblar, and Lindir. Her throat squeezed shut and her eyes stung even as Thorin came up beside her, his hand coming to rest at the small of her back. The heat from his hand seeped into her, but did little to soothe her.

"You will, of course, let us know when the wedding is," Elrond said, his own eyes a bit on the shiny side as his hands came down on her shoulders. "For if the dwarves do not mind having us as their guests, we would be honored to come."

Amara tried to speak, but the words lodged in her throat and she could only nod.

"You will of course be welcome," Thorin said as she gazed down at the white marble beneath her feet. "And we will send official invitations once we've set the date."

She stepped away from Thorin to move down to Kenia, whom she embraced warmly. "Take care," she managed to whisper, her voice breaking slightly. "And I've left copies of my notes in the desk for you. If you ever need me for anything, you need only send word and I will come as quickly as I can, as long as I am able."

"I will miss you," Kenia whispered, her own voice cracking as well. "You're my dearest friend, Amara. I will miss you terribly."

Amara stepped back to catch Kenia's face in her hands. "You will be fine, love. I promise you, you will be. And I will miss you as well."

She leaned in to kiss her cheek, then turned to Valindra, and then Samblar, hugging each and whispering words of reassurance. Then, she came to Lindir and her throat seized again. He'd been like a brother to her for so many years, the thought of not seeing him on a daily basis stung like a thousand nettles.

"You will be happy with him, won't you?" he asked, taking her hands in his. "Because if he makes you unhappy—"

"I don't think that will be a problem," she told him. "And perhaps when I come back to visit, you will have chosen a lucky elf maid to be yours. Our children can be playmates."

He smiled. "I'd like that, Amara. I will miss you, love."

"And I will miss you." She slid her arms about him and hugged him tight. "Take care of yourself, Lindir. And take care of Elrond."

With that, she turned to Elrond, who'd been like a father to her for so many years, who trusted her even when she doubted herself. "Thank you for everything, Lord Elrond," she said, trying to smile up at him, but her trembling lips made that impossible. "I will miss you."

"You will not have time to miss me," he replied softly, his eyes shinier still. "You will be far too busy building a new life with your dwarf, being Queen of Erebor, raising children. In time, you will forget all about us."

"I highly doubt that." She managed a weak laugh as she looked from him, down the line to the others, and back. "And you are all welcome. Any time."

Behind her, Thorin made a not-so-subtle choking noise and she shook her head. "Don't listen to him. We owe you, since you have shown such hospitality to Thorin and his Company." She shot Thorin a look over her shoulder. "Hasn't he?"

Thorin coughed, then nodded. "Yes, of course. You are all welcome. No invitation needed. But some notice would be nice."

"Thorin!" She shot him another look.

"Safe travels, Amara." Elrond bent and kissed her forehead. "And I will send word when a decision has been made regarding Jassin."

"Thank you." She turned to Thorin. "Shall we?"

He nodded. "Thank you, Elrond, for your hospitality. For your patience. And for your wisdom in placing me in the care of this woman. I will forever be indebted to you for that alone." He smiled over at her, which made her face grow warm.