Chapter Thirty-Eight

It was a beautiful day and as Amara emerged from Erebor's darkness, she shielded her eyes from the brilliant sunlight. A strong breeze whipped along the parapets, but it was a warm breeze, carrying hints of spices from the newly opened open-air market in Dale's town square.

She braced an elbow against a parapet and gazed across the plains toward Dale. In the distance, the sunlight danced along the Long Lake's surface to make it glitter like the many gemstones hoarded with the depths of Erebor. She missed Rivendell. Missed her thinking tree. Missed sunlight.

Missed not having someone openly hate her so vilely.

Erebor just wasn't the same for her. It was all so foreign to her and while she knew she needed time to adjust, it just felt as if that wouldn't happen. Would these dwarves accept her as Thorin's wife? As their queen? Or would they be more like Elke and think she'd done something to enchant Thorin in order to sit on the throne alongside him?

She straightened up and moved to sit nestled between the parapets. The stone was wide enough where she need not worry about losing her balance and it almost reminded her of her thinking tree. Almost, for outside of Erebor was still so desolate, the wind sweeping across the plains to blow dust and sand here and there.

Closing her eyes, she leaned her head back and let out a low sigh. She knew she'd miss Rivendell, but she didn't know she'd miss it this much. Homesickness was new to her, something she had to keep to herself, for she didn't want Thorin to think her unhappy at all. Somehow, she thought he might offer to return to Rivendell, and she knew that not only would that mean he'd have to abdicate his throne, but he would never be happy there at all.

"Miss Amara?"

She started, grabbing at the stone as she nearly lost her balance, and swung her legs back to the rampart to see Gimli peering up at her. "What are you doing here, love? Does your mother know you're out and about?"

"I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings before. I didn't know that was a bad word. I hope we can still be friends."

He looked so contrite, so scared that he'd actually hurt her, that she couldn't help but scoop him up. "Oh, love, you didn't hurt my feelings at all. And of course we can still be friends. Sometimes, I think you're the only friend I have."

He shook his head, his rusty hair bouncing wildly. "Mama loves you. She told papa bringing you here was the wisest thing Mr. Oakenshield has ever done. She thinks you will be a good queen and that you will keep Mr. Oakenshield in line."

His cheeks went red. "I wasn't supposed to tell you that."

"It's quite all right. I won't say a word."

The wind ruffled through his curls as he stared at her. "Why are you up here by yourself?"

"Sometimes I like to hide away from everyone, to clear my head. Why are you up here?"

He smiled and pointed to the raven roosting on the parapet alongside her. "The birds. I talk to them sometimes and they alway seem to listen."

"I talk to them, too. Ravens are marvelous listeners. I also bring them treats from time to time to thank them for listening."

"What treats?"

"They like fruit, so I steal berries at breakfast and bring them up."

Gimli's eyes lit up. "Could I do that, too?"

"I don't see why not, but you probably shouldn't be up here alone."

His face fell. "Mama doesn't like it when I do. She says she's afraid I'll fall."