Chapter Thirty-Nine

By sunset the next day, it seemed everyone in Middle Earth had learned of the marriage of Thorin II Oakenshield and Amara Erelene of Rivendell. Narnerra would never say how she did it, but she had somehow transformed the sandy, rocky, barren plains between Erebor and Dale into a magical world of sparkly golden fairy lights, and soft music drifting across those plains.

Nor would she say how she managed to get word to Elrond, who in turn, brought Kenia and Lindir, Valindra, and Samblar, and most of the Rivendell elves to celebrate the occasion as well. And not a single soul seemed anything other than happy for the bride and groom.

Amara fought back tears as she stood at the head of the white runner that stretched from Erebor's gates to the immense canopy, her arm tucked through Thorin's. She had never seen him look as handsome as he did right then, every bit the regal king dressed in robes of royal blue and gold, his hair freshly washed and braided. Since their return, his beard had grown out almost enough for him to braid as well, and she had something special she wanted to give him as a wedding gift, if they could but find a moment alone.

"You look happy," he said, his voice low and only barely audible.

"I am happy."

"Good."

They made their way under the canopy, where they were greeted with cheers and shouts and applause. The noises died away as Thorin held up a hand and said, "If I could just have your attention for a moment, then you may eat and drink until you burst, if you so desire."

Little by little, the tent grew quiet, all eyes on them as Thorin said, "I don't know how they did it, but thank you to Dwalin and Narnerra because they are the ones responsible for all of this. Amara and I appreciate it, truly, and I know some of you might be disappointed that there will not be a fancy wedding—"

"Not nearly as disappointed as you will be," Kili shouted, "when you realize no wedding means no wedding gifts."

The crowd laughed, but Thorin shrugged and said, "Ah, but we did get a wedding night, and trust me, that more than makes up for no gifts."

Amara rolled her eyes. "Thorin!"

He looked over at her and his eyes went soft. "I know all of you know the last year hasn't exactly been an easy one. Not for Erebor, not for you, not for me. I know you all know what happened to me at Ravenhill, but I don't know if all of you know that the one reason why I am here, is because of this woman."

He turned to her. "She saved me. In all the ways a man can be saved. She pushed me when I wanted only to die, hounded me when I only wanted to give up, and loved me when I couldn't even like myself. Because of her, I am here now. And there is no way to ever thank her or tell her what that means to me. So, I'm going to instead spend the rest of my days trying to show her instead."

Her eyes stung with tears once more as he turned to her and said, "I love you, Amara. Never forget that."

"I love you, too, Thorin," she managed to say as she slid her arms about his neck and pulled him to her. As their lips met, the cheers started up once more.

Elrond smiled as he leaned in to brush her cheek with a kiss. "I am so very happy for you, Amara, For both of you."

"Thank you." She looked from him to Lindir and Kenia. "I miss you all so much, but I'm settling in here and it's been... interesting."

"I can imagine," Lindir said with a wry smile.

"I didn't want to get too serious on this occasion," Elrond said, his voice low, "but at the same time, I thought you should know. I have ordered Jassin executed for what he did to Thorin and what he tried to do to you."