Chapter Twenty-Two

As dusk fell, the western lawns, where Rivendell's ballroom opened to, became a sea of fairly lights to bathe the entire area in soft gold light. The row of doors had been thrown open, white runners laid through each entry out to the white canopy that had been set up beneath a star-spangled sky of inky black velvet.

Amara couldn't remember the last time Rivendell seemed so very magical. She tucked her arm through Thorin's as they made their way across the ballroom—also awash in fairly lights, garlands of red and white roses, beautiful yellow daffodils, fiery orange gladiolus, kingsfoil, and baby's breath had been hung along the perimeter of the ballroom and canopy—she couldn't help but gaze at him from the corner of her eye, for she'd never seen a man as handsome as her dwarf looked that night. He was dressed in black trousers and a dark gray henley, whose sleeves he'd shoved up practically to his elbows, and he looked almost good enough to eat.

She linked her fingers with his and squeezed his hand as they stepped outside. "I do believe Lord Elrond has outdone himself this evening."

Thorin turned toward her. "He's not the only one. Have I mentioned you look stunning, amrâlimê?"

She blushed. She felt the heat rise in her cheeks and knew she'd chosen wisely with the elegant sleeveless silk gown in deep purple. It was one of her favorites and one she only wore on special of occasions. Her betrothal ball counted as the most special of them all.

"Thank you."

"Thanking me?" He paused to face her. "For speaking the truth?"

Three of the four buttons of his henley were undone and she laid her hand against the warm vee of skin and crisp dark hair bared by it. "This from the same dwarf who told me he should have died on an ice floe, that he didn't care if he lived or died. The one who told me ish kakfê ai-'d-dûr-rugnal?"

He covered her hand with his. "For the first time in over sixty years, I am happy. And I apologized for that, didn't I?"

She met his gaze, violet eyes locking with blue, and without thinking, she leaned in to brush his lips with hers. "I'm glad to see you happy, amrâlimê."

That brought a smile to his lips and his eyes practically sparkled in the glow of the fairy lights. "I'd forgotten what it felt like, to be happy, Amara. And I have you to thank for that."

"I was only doing my job."

Music floated out and with a wink, Thorin backed out into the middle of the canopy without letting go of her hand. Then, he slid an arm about her waist and drew her flush against him. "Doing your job?" he asked, swaying gently to the music. "How many other patients have you slept with?"

"Thorin!"

His laugh rang out across the floor, loud and booming and enough to make every head turn in their direction. Sliding his other arm about her, he said, "I tease, love." His smile faded. "Unless, you've actually done that."

She shook her head, winding her arms about his neck. "You are the first, Thorin Oakenshield."

"And the last."

"And the last."

He bent toward her and when their lips met, she threaded her fingers through his hair, let her fingernails brush along his nape, and smiled as he shivered against her. He broke the kiss, nuzzling her as he whispered, "I wish we were alone, givashel."

"Mmmmm..." Her eyes grew heavy as his lips swept along her neck, his hair silky soft as it skimmed her cheek. "In time, love," she whispered back. "In time."

His chuckle came warm upon her skin. "How did I know you'd say that?"

She leaned in to nuzzle him as well. "You know me well already, dwarf."