Evacuation

Evacuation

Chernobog Streets

"Get to any cover you can!" Amiya yelled as people scrambled, now preoccupied to deal with the retreating Reunion. Firewatch stood to watch over the sky, as Jacob and Amiya hastily organized ordered operators into safe zones, be it catastrophe shelters, parking garages, or burnt-out rubble. Loud cracks could be heard in the distance as meteorites broke through the sky. Her face fell as she saw the number of lights in the sky.

"Stay safe guys," Ace urged as he led the remaining medical personnel into a small underground garage. Jacob nodded as he closed the door after them. Looking behind him, it was only him, Firewatch, and Amiya. Running up to them, he observed meteorites backlighting a large skyscraper. "Where's our spot?" As he said that, a boom sounded behind them. Glancing towards it, he saw a flaming hole appear in the skyscraper. They looked in horror as it began to slowly teeter.

"We need to go..." Firewatch urged. "Now!"

"This way!" Amiya answered as she led them down the road. They ran until they reached a small cellar beside a shop. Amiya swung open the doors and stepped inside, reaching for Jacob's hand. As Jacob was about to grab it, a subtle crack caught Firewatch's ear. Glancing above them, she watched a meteorite strike the shop's roof.

"Watch out Doctor!" Firewatch warned as she grabbed his hood. He backstepped because of the sudden pull, but that ended up saving his life as debris from the roof collapsed on the entrance, sending the two flying back. Firewatch came back to her senses as she heard Amiya calling from the cellar.

"Doctor?!? Firewatch?!?" Amiya called out from behind the rubble.

Coughing out dust, Firewatch answered, "I'm fine." As she said that, she saw Jacob beside her, not moving. "Shit," she silently swore.

"What about the Doctor? Is he okay?" Amiya worriedly asked. Firewatch crawled up beside him. She could see his chest moving up and down. He was breathing.

She shook his shoulders, to no avail. "He's unconscious."

"What!" Amiya exclaimed, "I'm coming out there!"

Firewatch looked towards the leaning skyscraper and catastrophe happened right above her. "It will take you too long to blast your way out," Firewatch stated, hooking the unconscious Jacob's arms around her. "I'll find another spot. If worse comes, we'll meet you at the extraction point."

Silence came from Amiya before she spoke up. "Okay. Stay safe." Hearing her confirmation, Firewatch scanned the surroundings for any safe zones. Her eyes quickly stopped when she saw a small sewer hole in the middle of the street. The sewers. Dragging Jacob over to it, she pried at its surface, to no avail. As she grunted in frustration, her view wandered to the skyscraper. Debris fell from its massive wound, and cracks of metal sounded across the city before a mighty boom sent the tower collapsing towards them.

"Enough of this!" Firewatch roared as she tossed Jacob off to the side. Jumping back, she equipped her crossbow. Loading a red-tipped bolt, she immediately fired it at the sewer hole. An explosion immediately sounded when the tip hit the metal. When the dust quickly settled, the sewer hole was no more. Grabbing Jacob once again, she threw him into the sewers and followed as the building collapsed on top of them. Plunging them into darkness.

Chernobog's Sewers

Darkness shrouded Firewatch's eyes as she reached for the pouches around her waist. Opening and closing some of them, she finally pulled out her flashlight. Turning it on, it flickered for a second before turning off. Smacking it against her palm, a beam of light shot out, illuminating the sewers. Aiming it at the ground, she spotted Jacob, laying back first in the murky water. Sloshing through the filth, she scrunched up her nose as she pulled Jacob's arm over her shoulders again. It was filthy in there. Shining her light at the ceiling, she saw that the entrance she came through was blocked by concrete and metal. Sighing, she aimed her flashlight down the tunnel and trekked through the filth while carrying an unconscious man.