Back Home

Back Home

Nearing Rhode Island

Firewatch stared vacantly at the slowly approaching landship in the distance. The drive from Chernobog was a quiet one. The recent disaster and the deaths of their comrades weighed on the operatives of Rhodes Island. But not Firewatch. The deaths of Ace and the others were just another drop in the pond of loss to her.

Minutes later, the convoy of trucks entered the vehicle bay. As the vehicles stopped and doors opened, people and equipment were moving. Medics ran about the area, carting off the injured and checking the lightly wounded. A small group of medics practically dragged Jacob to the medbay. As Firewatch stood in the middle of it, a small hand grasped her own and squeezed it. Looking down she saw it was Lily's. "Where are we?" Lily asked as she moved her head.

"The safe place I told you about," Firewatch replied. Saying that a medic walked up to them.

"Ms. Firewatch?" the elafian turned and nodded, "I was told by Amiya to bring the child to the infirmary for a quick check-up." The medic knelt down and held out his hand to Lily. The girl didn't move and only stared at Firewatch. Seeing this, she turned to Lily and softly nudged her. Lily looked at her for only a second longer before taking the medic's hand and leaving. Watching them leave, Firewatch took her own leave, tossing her crossbow to a nearby mechanic and shrugging off any attempt to check her wounds. Walking down a hallway, she entered an elevator, the same elevator she took many hours before to Kal'tsit's office. Time barely passed before the doors opened. Walking inside, she saw no one inside. She turned around to leave, as a soft ringing emanated from the desk. Moving to the noise, Firewatch saw a smartphone ringing with Kal'tsit's name on the screen. Grabbing the tablet, Firewatch swiped the call button, answering the call. The screen switched into the camera feed of Kal'tsit sitting behind a desk, silhouetted by a city's skyline.

"Hello Firewatch," Kal'tsit greeted, "Good job on your assignment. You made the best out of a rapidly deteriorating situation." Firewatch glared and said nothing as Kal'tsit held her hands in front of her and sighed, "I'm sorry for not telling you the full details of your mission. Because of that feel free to ask any questions."

Firewatch immediately spoke up, "Who was that man and why was he in the safehouse?"

"That man, is the Doctor, the CEO of Rhodes Island. He was an excellent origium researcher and tactician before an accident rendered him into a coma. Before you ask, I won't tell you what caused it." Kal'tsit explained, "The safehouse provided security and the necessary equipment to the Doctor safe and stable until Reunion began to rear its ugly head."

Firewatch nodded, "What happens now? Chernobog is in ruins and Reunion has become a threat to everyone."

Kal'tsit rubbed her forehead, "I'm working on that. Rest-assure something will be done. In the meantime, I have another assignment for you. Don't worry, it's not much and it comes with some benefits as well." Firewatch as Kal'tsit pressed something on her tablet. A new tab suddenly appeared on Firewatch's screen. It was her ID, but something was different. Looking closer she saw her clearance level was higher, higher than any combat operator should have. "Congratulations. Usually, I would hand a promotion in person, but I'm currently needed in Lungmen. This promotion entails that you only answer to me and me alone. Not even the doctor. Understand that?"

"Why is there the need for all of this? What is even the mission?" Firewatch questioned.

"I'm getting to that. As you must have seen in Chernobog, the Doctor has amnesia. We don't know how long it's going to last or if his memories are even going to come back. Even so, his thought process and tactical mind are still intact. I need someone beside him who can monitor his condition at all times and provide assistance at all times."