Disaster

Disaster

Chernobog

Firewatch stared at the scenery with a grim look. She needed to report this. But to who? No one is supposed to know about this. She thought for a moment before she remembered someone she could trust. Placing her bag onto the ground, she turned on her transmitter and fiddled with two knobs until she was sure she was on the right frequency.

"This is Firewatch. Does anybody read?" she said as she gripped the microphone. Silence hung uncomfortably in the air as Firewatch waited for a response. Only a couple of seconds passed before a voice replied.

"Firewatch? Why are you calling my radio?" asked a familiar voice.

Firewatch bit her lip as an explosion sounded in the distance. "Something has happened in Chernobog, Meteorite. There's fighting in the streets and all order has broken down."

"Wh...what," Meteorite sputtered as she listened, "what are you doing in Chernobog!

"I can't tell you." Firewatch explained, "I need you to tell Kal'tsit that the situation in the city has deteriorated and that I'm continuing with my mission "

"Ok," Meteorite sighed after a bit, "stay safe."

She closed her eyes, "I will."

Firewatch turned off the transmitter and took a deep breath. Talking with Meteorite has never been easy for her. Pulling out the map of the city, she tried to figure out where she was. After spotting a few landmarks and road signs, she could determine that she was three miles away from the Safehouse.

Glancing at the landscape one last time, Firewatch shouldered her bag and grasped her crossbow.

Rhode Island Landship

She almost crushed the radio in anger before she calmed herself. Clipping the radio to her belt, she bolted from her room. Running out of the door, she almost collided with Frostleaf.

"Why are you in a rush, Meteorite?" Frostleaf asked, sidestepping her.

Meteorite turned towards her as she ran, "Something has happened in Chernobog! From what I could gather, I would get ready!" Before Frostleaf could inquire why, Meteorite already rounded the corner. Reaching the elevator at the end of the hallway, she stepped inside and pressed the button for the top floor. Meteorite crossed her arms as the elevator traveled up. The door opened, and she stepped straight into Kal'tstit's office.

"Hmm? Meteorite?" Kal'tsit said as she looked up, "what are you doing here."

Meteorite said nothing until she slammed her hands on the desk, "Why the hell did you send Firewatch to Chernobog! What the hell is going on there?!?"

Kal'tsit's face stayed stoic. "How do you know about that?"

Meteorite crossed her arms and took a breath. "I received a brief transmission from Firewatch. All she said was that something was happening in Chernobog and she was continuing with her mission. What's that about?" Before Kal'tsit could answer, Amiya exited the elevator.

"You have to see this! Chernobog is in chaos!" Amiya gasped as she displayed a tablet. On its display, a video was playing where crowds of people were being cut down by sword-wielding assailants. The video kept playing before an explosion sounded and the camera cut abruptly. "We have to do something..." Amiya stopped as she took in the atmosphere.

Kal'tsit stood up. "Tell the squads to prepare for deployment, immediately." Amiya quickly nodded as she tapped her tablet and reentered the elevator. "You too, Meteorite." Meteorite glared before she entered the elevator as well. As the door closed, Kal'tsit slumped back into her chair. 'Damn Reunion,' she swore as she rubbed her forehead.