Prelude to Disaster

Prelude to Disaster

Outskirts of Lungmen

"Firewatch! Firewatch! Talk to me!" Jacob yelled into the radio. Static sounded as everyone around the radio waited for a response. Meteorite clenched her arm in one hand, Frostleaf gripped her axe, her knuckles turning white, and Jessica stood still, holding her face in her hands.

A quiet voice broke through the static. "I'm sorry I couldn't keep my promise, Dr. Jacob. Please do me a favor..." Jacob grasped a bloody harmonica in his grasp. "Take care of Lily... and...let me  take some with me."

A couple of days earlier

Border of Lungmen

Rain peppered the window as Firewatch gazed through it. The trio of SUVs she was riding cruised silently. Eventually, through the window, she spotted lights spanning the night. Lungmen. One of those prosperous cities out there. However, as they drew closer, it didn't look like that. Scores of refugees spanned the roads, covered in rags and holding on to whatever possessions they had. "Refugees from Chernobog?" Firewatch guessed as the cars passed them.

"By the looks of it, yes," Jacob answered from the passenger seat, "Those poor people, who knows how far Chernobog is from here." Jacob frowned at the grim thought. All that walking on foot. "Anyway, we should be coming up to the meeting point with the LGD and Miss Chen. Get ready to dismount"

Firewatch nodded her head as she waited patiently in her seat. Soon enough, they stopped in front of a gate manned with guards, with a woman flanked by men, waiting in front. Stopping the SUVs, the operators stepped out into the rain. "Rhode Island," the woman in front started, "you're late. By three minutes, three minutes of mine wasted" The woman wore a slim-fitting uniform and carried a menacing red sword at her hip.

"Sorry Miss Chen," Jacob apologized, "the refugees were crowding the roads as we came in. In the end, we're here."

Chen sighed, "It's fine, let's get started. Our joint operation doesn't start until four days, but there's something we need you to do."

Jacob raised an eyebrow. "Oh? What is it you need from us?"

"Come with me." The operators and Jacob walked through the gate, entering what seemed to be the security base. Firewatch shook off the water as she followed Amiya and Jacob into another room. Inside laid a map of the city. Chen pointed at the map, "As you obviously saw, we have a refugee crisis from Chernobog. Unfortunately, among them, there are some rotten apples." Chen pressed a button on a nearby monitor. On it showed the feed of a gate. Seconds later, a man ran towards it, ignoring the warnings of the guards above. As he came closer, the guards fired, but it was too late. The man pressed something in his hand and an explosive detonated on his chest, blowing a hole in the gate. Soon, floods of refugees stormed through the open gate.

"Reunion. They're sneaking in using the refugees." Amiya assumed.

"Exactly," Chen replied. "That was the third one in the past two days. No one has died except for the bombers, but hordes of unsearched refugees are swarming into the city. Who knows how many of them are Reunion. That's why I'm asking for your team to provide security for one checkpoint for the night before you visit Wei."

"Firewatch. Your thoughts?" Jacob asked.

Firewatch thought for a moment, "There isn't really anything we can do until they show themselves and attacks. All we can do is station snipers in the towers and maybe have defenders outside the gate."

"My thoughts exactly. There isn't much we can do. But we'll do our best. We'll be going now, Miss Chen." The trio exited the room, as Jacob immediately issued orders. "Firewatch, take a position in the central sniper tower. Jessica, follow her and spot." Firewatch followed her orders as Jacob continued talking. Exiting the building, she heard the pattering of footsteps behind her.