Freetime

Freetime

Lungmen

Rhodes Island convoy roared across the highway. Firewatch sat in the lead vehicle's passenger seat as she rubbed her leg. Gavial and Myrrh both provided their expertise and allowed the wound to completely heal, leaving a light scar across her calf. However, everything was not perfect. Firewatch looks over herself. Her clothes, the ones she scavenged from Chernobog, were in tatters from the explosion with tears and ash all over them. "I look like a mess," Firewatch muttered.

"Maybe you should have stayed downstairs," Jacob quipped. "Here, take my phone. 'Bad Guy' is ferrying supplies from the landship. Maybe you can ask Meteorite or someone to pack some new clothes for you."

"Thanks," Firewatch said, taking his offer. After a quick conversation with Meteorite, she arranged for a new pair of clothes to be sent over.

She handed back Jacob's phone as she rubbed her leg again. "Is your leg still in pain? Do you need some painkillers?" Jacob asked worryingly. She's been doing that for almost the entire ride.

Firewatch stopped for a second. "I'm fine."

Jacob glanced at her while staying attentive on the road. "Just ask if you need anything. We should be reaching the LGD now. Our next assignment shouldn't come too soon."

"Thank god," Firewatch said, leaning back in her chair. Pulling into the inner city a couple of minutes later, the LGD's headquarters came into view, with barricades and posts occupied by guards all around it. They drove past them and entered the garages in the back. As soon as the car stopped, every operator quickly took their gear and filtered into the building.

Grabbing her equipment from the back of the truck, Firewatch saw Jacob waiting against the wall beside the entrance. "What are you doing, Doctor?"

Jacob looked at Firewatch as she walked towards him with a slight limp. He sighed and walked to her, taking the heavy crossbow from her shoulders. "Hey!" Firewatch complained.

"Your limping. Just let me help." Firewatch could only grumble as she let Jacob hold on to the crossbow. "Where are you going to?" Before she could answer, her stomach grumbled. "I'm guessing the mess, then?"

She glanced away and said nothing. He'll take it as a yes. They trekked through the hallways until they reached the cafeteria. Walking inside, the entire room was bustling with people waiting for their turn to grab dinner. Firewatch held up her bag to Jacob. "How about you find a table and I'll wait in line. What do you want?"

Jacob shrugged his shoulders as he took her things. "I really don't care. Just grab me the same thing as you." Firewatch nodded as Jacob left to search for a table. After five minutes, she left the line carrying two trays with a balanced meal of pasta, meat, and veggies. With a quick scan of the room, she spotted Jacob sitting on a table covered with their equipment, flipping through his tacpad.

"Here you go," Firewatch said as she held his tray in front of him.

Jackson put down his pad as he accepted it. "That didn't take too long."

"They streamlined the process pretty well. Move over a bit."

As she slid beside him, Jacob pulled out two cans from his pockets. "Here. I got some soda while I was waiting."

"That was nice of you," Firewatch quipped as she grabbed one and cracked it open. Taking a sip, she leaned back and sighed. The cold refreshing taste of the carbonated drink provided some pleasant relief. So much, in fact, she let out a small burp before quickly covering her mouth.

"How unladylike of you," Jacob said before swatting a piece of thrown pasta, courtesy of Firewatch. "You're only reinforcing my point."

Firewatch's cheeks shone a slight red as she started eating. "Shut up..." she mumbled as she tried to hide her embarrassment. He could help but chuckle at her antics. Jacob ate his own meal while taking in the atmosphere. It was a nice change of pace from the frantic and deadly fights they were getting into.