Survival of the Fittest - Part 2

They watched as the grounders trained in the middle of the camp.

"Impressive, aren't they?" Kane asked as Octavia walked up. "What doesn't kill them makes them stronger."

"Good, Flo," Indra said as he took down another Grounder. "Who's next?"

"I am," Octavia told her, walking over. "We're supposed to train together, right?"

"Only warriors train here."

"I saved your life."

"And now I'm saving yours. You. Attack," she instructed, moving back to the group.

"How are we supposed to do this if we can't work together?" Octavia asked Alia.

"We'll figure it out. It's only been a few hours." Octavia sighed and nodded and Alia joined Kane with the guard as they practiced shooting, most missing the set up wooden poles. "It's not the same as on the Ark," Alia tried to calm them down as they got frustrated. "Down here, there's wind and other factors in play. Here." She held out her hand and the guard looked at Kane. He nodded and the man handed her the gun. She got into position and shot the wooden pole three times. "Control your breathing. Squeeze the trigger, don't pull it," she narrated before shooting again. "Go ahead," she handed it back to him and he followed her instructions, hitting the pole. "There you go."

"You're quite the teacher."

"I've picked up a few things down here."

"Who taught you how to shoot?"

"Bellamy. He taught a lot of us after we found the guns." He nodded and she looked down.

"I'm sure he's fine."

"I know. Staying busy helps."

"Well, there's plenty for us to do." She chuckled before a guard came up.

"Sir, we have an audience," he said of the group of Grounders watching them.

"Hold your fire," Kane ordered, taking one of the guns and shooting two of the poles. "Would you like to try?" he asked the Grounder who had attacked Murphy. "We can teach you. Your enemy has guns. So should you." He held it out and he went to take it before Indra rushed up.

"Penn, stand down. You know better."

"It's alright. We offered."

"We don't need your weapons. Back to training. All of you."

"Guns could keep them alive. It's like they're afraid of them," Kane let out.

"They are," Octavia spoke up from where she was sitting. "Legend has it if a Grounder picks up a gun, even to shoot another Grounder, Mount Weather will wipe out their entire village. Can't have your blood supply defending themselves, right?"

"If we don't arm them, we can't win."

"Like hell we can't," Octavia said, sheathing her sword and walking off.

"We don't know enough about these people," he sighed.

"She does," Alia told him.

***

Night fell as the Grounders continued to train before Indra walked up to them.

"Enough! Enough! I hope you've saved some energy for a hunt. I'm told our hosts have no food." She started to lead them out of the camp before Octavia stepped in front of her.

"Time for one more?"

"Step aside, sky girl. We're hungry."

"Make me."