Late night snack (Ron x reader)

y/n pov

It was the night before Christmas Eve. I was at the Burrow visiting with Harry and Hermione.

I was really hungry because I didn't eat much dinner. I was learning how to play quidditch from Ron.

Ron and I had gotten close this year. Last year, after the Triwizard tournament, Ron had been especially protective of me.

He wanted Hermione to follow me into the bathroom and make sure Harry watched me when Ron wasn't. He also wanted Ginny to watch me in the dorms.

I didn't get it. He doesn't speak to her for four years and suddenly he takes an interest in me.

I didn't mind though. I've had a crush on Ron for a year now. And he's always been there for Harry and Hermione.

Even though I was a year younger than him, I didn't let that come between us.

I snuck down to the kitchen and made sure to not step on the floorboards that were creaky.

Being in a house of more than ten people, I tried my hardest to not wake anyone.

I used a muggle flashlight since I couldn't use my wand yet.

I found some leftover shortbread cookies and ate some, moaning with pleasure as the delicious taste filled my taste buds.

After I had finished my first cookie, I went to reach for a second one when I heard a creak from the stairs.

I hurriedly turned off the flashlight and hid.

A few more creaking noises and the other person had entered the kitchen.

A small light illuminated the person but all I could see as orange hair and a hand grabbing a shortbread cookie.

I watched the person and started to back away towards the stairs.

But just as I turned around to walk up the stairs, a loud creak came from the board under my right foot.

The person in the kitchen turned their glowing light towards me.

"Y/n? What the bloody hell are you doing up?" I turned and sighed in relief when I saw it was Ron.

"Well I could ask you the same thing Ronald," I said putting my hands on my hips like the sassy person I was.

"Well I got hungry and you know, I figured there might be some shortbread left," Ron whispered as I walked back into the kitchen.

"Same, I was so busy with you today that I didn't really eat much," I sighed as I reached for another shortbread.

Ron and I reached at the same time and our hands touched.

I pulled back suddenly because of the unexpected contact of skin in the dark.

"Oh sorry, you can have it," Ron said as he handed me the shortbread cookie.

"Thank you," I gratefully smiled at him in the dim light.

Mrs. Weasley sure did know how to make an amazing shortbread.

"So y/n, I've been thinking," Ron started whispering to me. "I think you're really cool and I know we've known each other for only four years but I was wondering if maybe you would like to go out with me sometime."

I was shocked.

Did my crush, Ron Weasley, really like me back?

I went quiet but soon realized I would have to give him an answer.

"Oh wow Ron," I whispered. That sounded pathetic.

"I get it, you don't like me. I'm just your friend brother. It's fine really," He looked miserable in the dim lighting.

"Oh Ronald, you're so sweet, cringe and charming really. I do like you, love you even. I'd just never expected that someone could possibly love me back," I said.

Ron grinned, " Can I kiss you then?" He asked.

"Of course," I said.

Our lips met and of felt like the fireworks at the end of exams. It was like a warm summer day that seemed so perfect it would never end.

Ron Weasley was mine. We pulled away, our foreheads resting on each other.

"Does this mean we are dating now?" Ron asked.

"Of course silly," I said, pecking him on the lips.

We spent the rest of the night watching shortbread and whispering jokes to each other in the living room.

Life was good.

And it all started with a late night snack.