Unexpected Reunion

Narrator's POV
Akane pushed her light brown hair behind her ear as she typed. She sighed, wishing she was already home watching tv instead of writing a report for Chief Kasei. It's one of the only dull things about this job, she thought. Pausing for a minute, she looked up to see the rest of her team typing on their workstations as well. Akane sighed, half grateful for lull in cases, half bored out of her skull with nothing to do.

Suddenly, a loud beep sounded from Akane's workstation, signalling a message from the chief. She jumped, causing her knee to bump against her desk loudly. Akane cursed under her breath and blushed as her colleagues looked up at her. Their expressions ranged from concern - this came from Ginoza - to amusement - shown by the smiles on Kunizuka and Hinakawa's faces, a rare thing for both of them - to outright annoyance - from Shimotsuki, as usual.

Ignoring their looks, Akane took a deep breath and opened the chief's message. "Ginoza and Kunizuka," she said calmly, refusing to let her earlier embarrassment fluster her. "Chief Kasei wants to see us immediately. Grab your things." Akane stood and turned to look at her partner and junior Inspector. "Ms. Shimotsuki, you're in charge. Call me if anything happens. I'll send you my report when I get back."

Shimotsuki nodded and looked at Hinakawa in obvious distaste before continuing to work on her report. Akane sighed disapprovingly and walked outside to the elevators to wait for the others. Ginoza and Kunizuka joined her just as she was stepping inside the elevator.

"You okay?" the older man asked her with concern. "You seem... off."

Akane nodded and smiled up at him, but it didn't reach her eyes. "I'm fine," she assured him, "it's just that it's been almost three years since..." She trailed off, not wanting to say what the three of them already knew. Silence filled the elevator as the three of them looked anywhere but at each other, lost in their own memories.

Three years since it happened. Since Kogami left. Akane often wondered what had become of the ex-Enforcer. She reflected on what had happened in that time, Ginoza becoming an Enforcer, Ms. Shimotsuki being appointed as her partner, the appearance of Kirito Kamui, Professor Saiga's help with the case, not to mention her grandmother's death as well as Togane's.

Kunizuka was the first to break the awkward silence, oddly enough. "Did the chief say why she wanted us?"

Akane shrugged. "No, she just said that she wanted the three of us upstairs immediately for some urgent news. Your guess is as good as mine as to what it is."

"Do you think it could be him?" Ginoza wondered. "Do you think they've found Kogami?" Akane looked at him, surprised at his unusually hopeful tone.

She sighed and spoke, her usual blank mask and monotone voice back in place. "Not likely. Mr. Kogami is good; if he doesn't want to be found, then it's unlikely Sybil will find him. Besides, he's a fugitive. If they did find him, he would have been killed on the spot with no need to tell us." She hoped no one noticed the way her voiced cracked on the word 'kill'.

The rest of the ride in the elevator as well as the walk to Chief Kasei's office after this revelation. The three stopped in front of the large, frosted glass double doors that led to the chief's office, Akane in front while Ginoza and Kunizuka stood behind her.

Akane took a deep breath and steeled herself to accept whatever strange new case Chief Kasei had for them today. She knocked on the door and said her name to the small intercom that had appeared on the wall next to them. A soft click sounded, followed by the automated opening of the doors.

"Come in," Chief Kasei called to them, but the trio remained frozen. They were all rendered speechless by the sight of the figure standing in front of the chief's desk. Akane's body was frozen with shock as she locked eyes with the man she never thought she'd see again.

Shinya Kogami.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

DUN DUN DUN!
Sorry, you guys probably saw that one coming. xD Anyway, what did you think? I'll probably do a chapter or two with one point of view then switch it, but I make no promises.
Please vote and comment what you think! Constructive criticism is welcome, hate is not. Love you all!

~ Rias

P.S. The video is actually my own edit. What did you guys think???? There's a part two which I'll probably post next chapter.