02: Officer !!

>>The photo is just a prop in this book. It was from "Flaming Heart" (2021) drama. The real Singapore Police Force has different uniform and ranks. As you know, Flaming Heart is a Chinese Drama and it's about Fire fighters. So please, use your imagination more on our Simon and Jason in this story.<<

[Simon]

2020

I was looking for my instruction booklet in my drawer at my office desk when I found my old photo with a simple wooden frame. I remembered I put it inside the drawer when I need space on my desk doing some annual report. I took it out and read my note at the back of my photo. I clearly remembered that day, I was ecstatic during the ceremony, but as all officers did I had to restrain myself from grinning wide.  

2017
Today is THE DAY. My dream comes true... I am OFFICIALLY an officer. A police officer. New recruit of  S.O.C.  

I was still 25 years old when I was recruited to Special Operation Command a.k.a Special Task Force. I was selected partly because I won a Martial Arts competition, besides my good records a police officer for two years prior. The big boss offered me to join the Training camp as Instructor or joining STAR - Special Tactics And Rescue. I decided to start as Instructor at the training camp for rookies. Then I was transferred to STAR the following year.

Yes, I loved martial arts and I competed in various competitions around Asia. I did good in Judo, Taewondo, Kickboxing, and Jiujitsu. I started train myself since very young, around 10 years old. I lived in an orphanage and I fought a lot, that was the main reason I learned to fight properly. Occasionally, street fight was inevitable. It was part of my surviving.

Both of my parents died in a plane crash, and I didn't have relatives who took me under their custody. My parents were immigrant from China after they got married. They moved to Singapore to find better life and I was born here, the city state of Singapore. So the government sent me to an orphanage. 

Enough about my bleak childhood. I just wanted to say that I was quite happy as a police officer, as a Sergeant of STAR. 

 "Sergeant Gong, you are expected to come to Station Inspector's office at 2 p.m." Corporal Shin -or Benny - announced. 
"Can you tell me what for?"
"I'm sorry, I really don't know, Simon" We dropped all formality when nobody was around us. Benny was a good friend. He even regarded me as his best friend. 
"I hope that he wouldn't transfer me to other division. I just started to like it here."
"What if it means you get promoted?"
"Well.. I have to see him first, then I'll know what's it all about."
"Hope for the best, Simon." Benny left my office. I glanced at my wristwatch, I still have another 30 minutes to lunch break and 1 more hours before entering my boss' office on fourth floor of my office building. I'd better finish my desk job before meeting with the boss.

2 p.m

"Sergeant Gong, Sir !" Corporal Kareem, the adjutant announced my coming. I heard something like "yeah.." from my boss' office. I stepped inside and gave proper salute.

"Just drop it, Simon. Have a seat." He smiled widely. Whazzup - whazup.. ?? Obviously he was very relax and ... happy?
"Thanks, Uncle Liem." Aside from being my boss, Senior Inspector Liem was like my godfather. He straightened me up when I was broken kid and made me a fighter, then a law enforcement officer. 
"How old are you, Simon?" Why did he ask, he knew me very well.
"Why?"
"What do you mean 'Why'?"
"You know I'm 27 going on 28 this year. Why do you ask if you can check my personal data with just one click?"
"You'll get a promotion, a join-training for police force, best of every unit. On a special mission." 
"Can you tell me in a proper English, Sir?" When he was over excited, uncle Liem forgot all grammar things.
"You are going to join a special unit, there will be a mission, son. There... happy now?"
"Mission?"

The next half an hour he gave me brief details about the mission I had to join next two days. Apparently it was gonna be a suicidal mission. Well... not as heroic as the movies or "Mission Impossible" kind of things. I had been in many join-forces military training and I was pretty good in all harsh conditions. I was not buffy when it came to my physical feature but I beat most of the beefy muscles and that made them pissed. I was more to lean, some said I was too lanky skinny scrawny but I got all muscles that I needed to become a fighter. They should have seen me fighting inside the ring.
Anyway... I was NOT good when it came to high profile socialites. Part of me hated rich snob events that I had to attend, just because I always suffered self-consciousness. Growing up in an orphanage and moving from one foster home to another was not a good memory and somehow it shaped me. Another part of me said "go for it and fight". Yeah, the mission.... I had to join a new group of elite soldiers of Singapore and the surrounding countries. Next two months there would be a conference of politics and economics high profile delegates, and we had to secure all parameters concerning public and delegates' safety. In raw diction: I was assigned as bodyguard.

Awesome... NOT.

I was good in fighting, not socializing.  

=====
I know it's short, please be patient.