Chapter 7

"Han Sir, he definitely mentioned Topgun",

"Ok. Naina take care please. This is very new aur mai chahta hu ki tum par koi shaq na ho kisi ko", Col. Trishanku said.

Naina is transferring information to Col. Trishanku from a small base she has set up in one small room of the house. They have sealed the room completely to avoid detection and have it specially ready for this purpose only.

"Naina...keep in touch with Choubey"

"Yes Sir"

"So Irfan hated you?", Col. Trishanku asked.

"I wish but he is a layered person. Shifrat is in great influence of him or agreeing to him due to some other obligation. But something is definitely up with those two"

"Start familiarising with Asim. Baccha masum hai. He can lead you to the family", he said.

"I am on it Sir. We started well. I think it should go well. Given our plan ahead I don't see much challenge in that", she replied.

"Be careful nonetheless. Vaise how is your equation with Naushad?"

Naina is quiet and Col. understood.

"Naina I understand it's difficult for you but he is very important piece of the puzzle. Without him we can't reach anywhere"

"Hmm...", Naina replied thoughtfully.

"Naina you understand his moral dilemma, right? He should feel comfortable with you to show his vulnerabilities. Time ahead will be very difficult for both of you", Col. tried to make her understand.

"I understand Sir. But he is just so difficult to deal with", she tried to skip this conversation.

"Yes, I know. But try all the same. We need him Naina on our side all the time. Please understand", he said.

"Ok Sir", she said timidly.

She can't tell him the reservations against being friendly with him. He presents an all together different challenge in front of her.

She knew he is not him but the uncanny similarity in their looks made her forget sometimes. And to be close to him is just as difficult for her and for him.

But she needs to do it. It's the only way.

————————————————————————

She is rubbing moisturiser on her hands. This cold weather is making her skin go flaky.

Naushad is noticing her but pretending to read a book. His specs are slipping from his eyes and his eyes are taking cover behind those curls. Curls which are falling over his face making him look handsome effortlessly.

"Mujhe nahin pata tha tum jaise ladkiyan bhi apni skin ko lekar conscious hoti hai"

"Mujh jaise matlab?", Naina squeezed her eyes.

He raised his eye in a expression saying "duh".

She shakes her head in annoyance, " so that means I can't look pretty".

"Well, I guess looking pretty would act as a double benefit for you", Naushad said.

"Yes...actually it is. Not that i would be any less efficient without my looks", she replied without any qualms.

He nodded once.

Naina looked at him for a second and thought about the conversation with Col. Trishanku.

"Vaise how was your day?", she asked in an attempt of initiating a conversation.

"It was ok", he replied with a suspicious look.

"I always want thought medical is such a noble profession. When you save anyone's life it would feel so rewarding right", Naina asked brushing her hairs.

"You don't have to do this, you know", he said in a slow but sharp voice.

"Matlab?"

"matlab mujhe pata hai ki tum ye kyu puch rahi ho mujhse. Because you need to have friendly terms with me. Because if I trust you it would be an ideal situation. Because I can be vulnerability for this mission", Naushad said coming close so that no one could overhear.

Naina turned to him. They are just a step apart.

"Don't even try to deny this. I know ki yahin bat hai. Tum logo ko har cheez bas mission lagti hai. Logo ke emotions, unki feelings sab", he said in the same sharp tone.

"So let me be clear. You don't have to do that. We are together for a reason and let it be the only reason", he said.

Naina kept her quiet. Breathing a bit erratic due to the proximity. His proximity reminds her of someone so much that it aches her heart. And listening all these things just reminded her of a similar incident with that someone.

She turned and went to the only corner of the house she felt home, the big balcony. There is a bamboo swing between the lush green planters sitting in the balcony. She sat there. Sun is already set and the air is chilling but she didn't felt like going back for woollens.

How easily he concluded that she doesn't have feelings. This is not a new thing for her. Being a women in a strong and tough job, people feel like their softnesses is gone. Like she became less feminine. She is used to this prejudice like many others in past.

But when he said it hit differently. His face resembles the only person who loved her inspite of all her shortcomings. He never judged her. Never tried to change her. Not even a bit.

He loved her the way she is. She understood he loves her in Indian wear but never once asked or mentioned it. He lets her he the way she is. He was the blessing she sometimes feel she doesn't even deserves.

Her eyes are wet unknowingly. She brushed the tears. She can't be weak in this unknown territory where she is her only strength.

Cold weather is resembling the cold hearts of people living around her.

She stood up and leaned on the railing. This side of the house faces a faraway forest with no human in hindsight.

She took a deep breath of the fresh air and closed her eyes. She felt a disturbance and before she could turn felt a shawl covering her.

She realised Naushad covered her with a thick shawl.

"Bahut thand hai. Andar aa jaye", he said and left.

She saw him leaving and thought, if he was always like this or the situations made him like it.

She went inside and found a cup of coffee sitting on her side of bed.

"Pee le. Itni der bahar the, thand lag jayegi", he said looking at his book.

She took a sip. It's exactly the way she makes it. How he knew, she wondered.

"Umm....I....I....", he tried to say something looking at her.

"It's fine. May be I am but cold hearted and yes, I was asked to be friendly with you. Par now that you have made it clear. It doesn't need to be like that. I am sorry.", she said switching off the light.

He realised she didn't tried to explain anything over his judgement or even thanked him for coffee. But she didn't let him say sorry either, understanding his difficulty with the same.

She is different. Not a typical girl or even an army personnel. May be he judged her wrong!

/* happy weekend friends!

Votes and comments are compulsory!

*/