Chapter 40

"Where is she?", Naushad came running towards the wing.

"She is under surgery", Nihar told him looking at Gunny who is sitting with his face in his hands.

"Is she is going to be fine? Col. Chandra told me that she is hit with a bullet on chest", Naushad asked in a shaky voice.

"They are not saying anything", Gunny replied with a broken voice.

————————————————————————-
"Asim ...that kid..where is he now?", Nihar asked Naushad who is looking like he can collapse any minute now. Nihar is feeling bad for him.

Not only did he just lost almost his entire family today but now he might also loose something as close to family. He could sense the under currents and knew that Naina is holds a special place in his life.

He taps his shoulder. Naushad's tears make their way. He couldn't hold them back.

"Have you met Shifrat?", he asked.

Naushad nodded. He did met her, where she confessed not just killing Naina but being involved with separatists since long.

She and Irfan knew about Naina being a spy all along. They played along to cheat them.

But the fact that she baited her own kid, just broke the deal for Naushad. He requested Col. Chandra to never let him see her again. The things she did not just ruined his life but so many more.

Even Shifrat can see indifference surfacing in Naushad's eyes as he denied that she can't see Asim ever. He will never let that kid see her face ever in his entire life.

Naushad's eyes are swarming in tears recalling those events. He looked desperately towards the operating room.

Gunny saw him and felt a strange kinship towards Naushad. Although he always felt angry over his closeness with Naina but now they are on the same boat. He knew what all Naushad lost today.

Gunny closed his eyes making a silent prayer to save the girl. He is even ok if she chooses Naushad but she should just be there. He clenched his fists tight thinking of the scenario of he won't be able to see her either.

Naushad happens to look at Gunny. He can understand what he is going through. He is feeling so miserable there that he just got up to go check for Asim.

Asim is with Col. Chandra currently. Meher is sitting with him talking and distracting.

"Mamujaan, Ammi aur Abbu kahan hai? Hum yahan aur kitni der rahenge?", Asim asked watching Naushad coming towards him.

Naushad sits in his knees looking lost over what to reply to him.

"Ammi keh rahi thi ki Abbu ko gande logo ne maar dia. Sach me Mamujaan?", Asim asked looking innocently at him.

Naushad just hugged Asim, perplexed over what should he reply to that little boy.

Meher took Asim in her arms and patted him to sleep.

Naushad is looking at him helplessly.

Meher put him on a bed and comes to sit with Naushad.

"What am I going to tell him about his parents?", Naushad said pulling his hairs.

"Give it sometime Naushad. There is no rush for these things", Meher replied looking in his tearful eyes.

"I just don't know how to handle this Meher....and now with Naina..", Naushad couldn't complete the sentence and Meher took him in her arms.

He cried like a baby. His entire world is crumbling around him and he can't do anything.
—————————————————————————
Naushad is back in front of operation theatre with Asim once he is up.