Epilogue

Wilbur was different.

It took Tommy a bit to figure out what was different. But when he found it, it made him smile.

Things Tommy could only get Wilbur to do if he tricked him, he'd now do, if Tommy just asked casually. He'd agree with almost no hesitation. Even if it was something crazy for a vlog. Something he'd be doing on his own, as Tommy was in America.

Wilbur acted more confident in his ability, and because of this, his scores in things like MC Championships went up. And Techno even mentioned this to him. Wilbur's face lit up when he heard it.

Wilbur was constantly brainstorming new song ideas for Lovejoy, and more of the ideas were kept, and fleshed out by the whole band. Made into really fun songs that would get stuck in Tommy's head for days.

Wilbur was braver.

Tommy knew Wilbur, and he knew that the last thing Wilbur saw himself as, was brave.

But he was brave. And Tommy decided to tell him that.

They were in a call when Tommy brought it up.

"I can do that." Wil said.

"Really?"

"Sure, I'm happy to help you get more footage of Brighton." Wilbur took another bite of his sandwich. "Even if it's at the expense of my dignity."

"Y'know, you're a lot more open to things like this." Tommy said.

"I dunno, it just doesn't seem all that bad." Wilbur shrugged it off.

"You're braver than you used to be." Tommy said.

There was silence for a little bit too long.

"I'm not very brave." Wilbur finally said.

"But you are brave. You can do a lot of things that used to really stress you out. Hell, you faced a button eyed evil freaking witch-woman-thing just to save me."

"You were in danger, I had to help you."

"And you kept coming up with good plans to help us escape."

"We couldn't just run in there blindly." Wilbur said. "I'm not the brave one. You are." There was a slight waver in his voice.

"Wilbur just shut up and take the compliment. Because it's true y'know. You are very brave. And it's admirable."

"... Okay."

...

Wilbur was proud of Tommy.

Well, he was always proud of Tommy, but lately he's been especially proud of Tommy.

Tommy was smarter.

Well- also no. Tommy was always smart, but now he was using his intelligence more.

Before Wilbur left to go home, he had a talk with Tommy about the Ranboo thing. Tommy was extremely on edge. He brought it up, and Tommy went into a rant about how he knew it was dumb to be jealous of Ranboo but he was doing all the things Tommy used to do with Tubbo, and he missed it and felt left out. And replaced. Tommy looked so ashamed, like he'd been caught with his hand stuck in the cookie jar. Like a little kid.

Tommy was not a little kid.

Wilbur was about to give him advice. Tell him how to handle the situation, but no one knew how Tommy felt better than himself, and he'd been doing enough listening recently. Instead, Wilbur did something different.

"Well what are you gonna do about it?" Wilbur had asked.

"What?"

"What are you going to do? How are you going to fix it?"

"I- um..." Tommy went quiet.

Wilbur watched as the gears turned in Tommy's head.

"Ranboo isn't a bad guy. I'm just overly jealous. After all, Tubbo wouldn't be friends with someone who was a huge jerk. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to join them. To see what happens. Get to know him."

"That sounds like a good plan Tommy."

It was just after Wilbur had gotten back to Brighton when he saw Tommy join Tubbo's stream with Ranboo.

Tommy didn't antagonize Ranboo and they actually really got along. Tommy admitted later that he enjoyed his company.

Wilbur was proud.

Tommy was also more careful because he was utilizing his intelligence. He thought before he did things. And it helped him time and time again.

Wilbur was proud.

Phil mentioned his increased caution and tactfulness, and Tommy composure shifted immediately, he sat taller in his chair, a smile never fully leaving his face.

...

"Wilbur?" Tommy asked. A hint of nervousness in his voice.

"Yeah?"

"How are your dreams lately?"

Wilbur smiled.

"Tommy, my dreams are as colorful and abstract as ever."

Tommy sighed.

"Good. That's good."

"Nothing but sunny skies Tommy, relax." Wilbur felt pretty good, he felt more in control of his life. He hoped Tommy felt the same way.

"Tommy?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm really proud of you."

Tommy's chest was filled with a feeling of acheivement, and warmth. It was a very welcome feeling. I feeling he hoped would never fade.

"Y'know, through all the struggles and trauma that dreadful little door gave us, I feel better now."

"Me too, Tommy. Me too."

........................

This was a huge project to finish before Halloween but I'm super proud of it, I worked really hard to make Wilbur fill the role of the parents and also the role of Coraline with Tommy. And I think it worked out. :3

Something that I never cleared up that I really should: It's an au where Coraline died instead of escaping, and the ghost children and her parents made it out alive. Wybie gets a hold of the key, and since he knows about the evil stuff he decides to throw it down the well, and the well mysteriously flooded right when Tommy moved in, and the key washed up in the mud where Tommy found it.

(I hope that makes sense)

Happy Halloween (Eve?) Plerps!