Chapter 21 (T)

Chapter 21: Picnic

Wilbur was in the kitchen when Tommy got there, leaning against the counter. His eyes were unfocused, just staring at the floor. He was deep in thought. Tommy shrugged it off and got himself some cereal.

"Tommy?" Wilbur asked, almost hesitantly.

"Yeah?"

"Where did you put the key?"

"Oh, I didn't know what to do with it so I put it on the string with the triangle." Tommy pulled out his makeshift necklace. Showing him the two items.

"Good. You feel alright?"

"I'm fine Wilbur." Actually he was growing concerned.

"Do you know where the Cat is?"

"No, I haven't seen him."

"Okay." Wilbur went quiet.

"Wilbur? What aren't you telling me? You're asking weird questions in the morning. You didn't have another nightmare did you? I don't wanna deal with anymore bulls***."

Wilbur looked up at Tommy, then sighed.

"I had a different dream last night. Coraline was in it."

"Really? It's she okay?"

"She's fine- did you know that she has blue hair?"

That was pretty cool. Coraline might not have been in there as long as he thought. Maybe only a decade or two.

"Get on with it Wilbur." Tommy continued to eat his cereal.

Wilbur spoke slowly, as of he was afraid of Tommy's reaction.

"Coraline says, that the Beldam is going to find the key unless we do something."

Tommy dropped his spoon into his bowl. He stared at Wilbur. Wilbur seemed to be less nervous than Tommy, but he was better at hiding that kind of thing.

A pit formed in his stomach. A strong feeling of wrongness and dread.

Tommy stood up.

"We have to get rid of it! Where can we- the well! We'll drop it down the well." Tommy immediately walked away towards the door.

"Woah woah woah woah!" Wilbur grabbed his arm and pulled him back. "You can't go until we come up with a plan, she could attack you and get it while you're trying to get rid of it!"

"But- but-" Tommy tried to wiggle out of his grasp.

Wilbur grabbed his shoulders and turned Tommy to face him. It didn't stop Tommy from trying to escape his grasp.

"I know you're scared and want to get it over with but if we just go over there with no plan she's just going to hurt us."

"How do you know!? There could be nothing! The door is locked isn't it!?"

"Tommy, something came through the tunnel with us. Didn't you see it? It squeezed under the door on her side, it can get over here. It might be a rat or something and I don't plan on us dying of rabies."