Episode 5

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as guards rushed by Wilhelm to get in a van and chase after the ambulance. It wasn't until he felt someone pulling him up onto the steps that he was brought of his trance. He glanced down at his arm, following it up to see Malin. Her lips were moving, her eyes staring directly at him, but he heard nothing. He tried to make out what she was saying to him but he couldn't concentrate, his mind was all over the place. He shook his head, taking a step back, stumbling as his heels slipped off the edge of the step. "Wilhelm!" She gasped as she reached out to catch him, standing him up once more. "I'm... I'm sorry, what were you saying..?" He eventually mumbled out, raking his fingers through his hair. Malin looked down at the young prince with a look of concern, but quickly shook it off. "Are you sure you want to head to the hospital? Maybe you'd be more comfortable here," she suggested. Wilhelm was quick to shake his head, "No. No, I have to go. I can't sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting for someone to forget to tell me what happened." Always used to being the last to know about anything going on in his family, he was quick to get upset at the idea of not knowing what happened to his mother. Malin let out a sigh before nodding her head, "Well, then maybe you should pack a bag, in case you have to stay overnight," she proposed. The prince nodded, beginning to head back inside when he felt his phone begin to vibrate. He furrowed his brow as he fished it from his pocket, answering the call. "Hel-..." "Wilhelm! I am on my way to the hospital right now, I need you to grab some things from my office." It was Selma, out of breath and clearly a bit frantic. "What? No, Selma, it is Christmas. Stay h-..." Yet again, Wilhelm was cut off by the woman on the phone. "I don't think so, I saw what happened during the speeches today. I'm not letting you handle something like this on your own," her voice dropping into a more serious tone. It was at that point the prince fell silent. He felt as if he was being scolded for confessing to a major crime on national television. Was he not allowed to speak his mind at all? "What do you need?" Wilhelm mumbled out after a long moment of silence, waiting for his instructions and once he was told what he needed to get he simply hung up. He didn't want to hear anything more from Selma, his mind was already spinning and now he was being knocked down without mercy it seemed.

Wilhelm was stuffing his duffel bag with random clothes, trying to create some sort of checklist in his head to make sure he had everything. Mumbling each item to himself as he shoved it into the bag, biting his lip as he stared at the contents as if it would magically remind him of anything he had forgotten. Figuring it was good enough, he zipped it shut and hurried down the stairs. He tossed the bag by the door before heading down to Selma's office. He pushed the sliding doors apart, heading over to the desk. He began pulling open drawers until he came across what he needed. "Okay. Tablet... phone... charger?" He hummed as he looked around, not finding any charger on the desk. After a few minutes of searching for the character he began to grow frustrated, grabbing the phone and holding the power button. Impatiently, he tapped his fingers against the desk as the phone slowly began to turn on, once it did he saw that it was almost fully charged. "Well, that'll have to be good enough," he huffed as he grabbed everything and rushed back to the front door. Slinging his bag over his shoulder, Wilhelm headed outside to see Malin already waiting for him in the drive. He mumbled a quick thank you as he tossed his bag into the backseat before climbing in himself, the door shutting behind him. Wilhelm stared out the window, his hand coming up to his mouth allowing his teeth to nibble at his nails. Even if he and his mother were currently not seeing eye to eye, it didn't mean he no longer cared for her. It made him sick to his stomach thinking that if she passed away the last conversation between them would be a fight. "No... no..." he whispered to himself as that thought entered his mind. He knew he shouldn't think that way, but after seeing his mother collapse like that, it was hard to think otherwise. Taking deep breaths, his hand began pressing against his chest as he looked around for something to distract him from his thoughts. As his eyes moved around the backseat, they settled on Selma's phone. Her work phone, to be more precise. The prince picked it up, swiping his finger across the screen figuring there would be a passcode locking it. However, the phone unlocked opening to the home screen. There weren't many apps on the phone, just all the preinstalled apps that come on the phone and few social media apps. The background hadn't even been changed from when the phone was first activated. Then again, it was just a work phone so he figured there was no use in customizing it. He was about to turn off the phone when his eyes landed on the contacts app. He knew exactly what numbers would be in Selma's contacts. Different news stations, journalists, radio stations, anyone who had the ability to spread news, and spread it fast, as it was her job to keep the royal family in a good light. The people Wilhelm would need to finally tell his truth.

          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••