𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟭

Y/n

I got back to work but couldn't focus on my work, and by lunch, I was hurrying to June's to pick up Hyun Ki and ensure his safety.

I shouldn't have told Mr. Kim my secret, but he had pissed me off so much during the interview that I wanted him to know that the world didn't revolve around him or his arrogance.

But now I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach, a feeling that told me something big was about to happen now that he was aware of Hyun Ki.

"What is it?" June asked as I walked through her front door. "What happened?"

I didn't say a word until Hyun Ki was in my arms, hugging him close. He protested against the tightness of my arms, but I didn't care.

This was my boy, my son. I had cared for him for nearly a year by myself. Everything I did, every dime I made, was for him.

"Y/n, you're scaring him and me."

Breathing in Hyun Ki's scent, I let him down, watching as he crawled toward his pile of toys he had been playing with. "I'm scared."

"Come here," June stated. I walked into her arms and she hugged me just as tightly as I was hugging Hyun Ki a moment before. "It's going to be okay. Tell me what happened."

I released my best friend and sank onto her couch, my hands tightly clenched together in my lap. "Hyun Ki's father, he's ridiculously wealthy. He could take him away." I had this horrible feeling in my gut that I was teetering on the edge of this cliff and he was going to be the one to push me over the edge.

"Hey, we talked about this, remember?" June said, placing her hand over mine. "He hasn't tried to find you after your one night. I doubt he's father material."

"It was one moment," I muttered. We had agreed not to take it further than that passion-filled moment in his VIP section, and honestly, while it was the hottest time of my life, I hadn't given it much thought until I had wound up pregnant.

Now he knew.

"Right, one moment," June replied. "Nothing more. I doubt he's looking for a ready-made family, Y/n. What did you say his name was again?"

"Kim," I answered, drawing in a shaky breath. I could still feel his piercing gaze on me, the way he had flaunted his arrogance around. Why oh why had I even slept with him to begin with?

Liz sucked in a breath. "Kim? Like Kim Taehyung? You slept with Kim Taehyung?"

I frowned. "Um, yeah?"

June stood and walked over to her kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water from the counter. "I didn't know you had slept with him, Y/n. You should have told me."

Okay, she was starting to freak me out. "Who is he?"

She took a few gulps of her water before she turned her gaze to me, still wide-eyed as it had been when I had said his name. "The Kims are part of the old Mafia days. They were the family I did my master's thesis on, along with the rest of the Mafia families here. They are ruthless, Y/n. I mean, like the worst family you could imagine in terms of blood and violence."

My stomach did roll then. "But, I thought the Mafia died out like in the eighties?"

June capped her water. "I mean they did to an extent, but not the older families. They have hung around, making their money in the guns and drug world."

I swallowed hard. I had birthed a child with ties to the Mafia. He was like a criminal by circumstance!

"It gets worse," June continued, her voice low. "There have been rumors, Y/n, that Taehyung took over after his father's death. He's the man in charge now, the 조폭."