𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟮

Taehyung

I watched as my son woke in his mother's arms, feeling something tight spread across my chest as his eyes landed on me.

He had the Kim eyes, there was no doubt about it. It was the one part of our genes that was strong. My nephew had possessed them as well, and as I took in his features, I could pick out everything that made him a Kim.

Of course, I would get proof before he would get my name, but if he was my son, he was going to be a Kim.

This had gone better than I had expected it to. Ms. Lee didn't have much of a choice but to come with me, especially after I threatened to take her son away from her. I hadn't been lying. I was willing to separate her from my son if she had refused to come willingly. I was a cold-hearted bastard that wanted what he wanted, and I wanted my son safely under my care and far away from Baekyun's reach.

The only way that Hyun Ki and his mother were going to be safe would be in my penthouse, which was exactly where I was taking them. There I could control their movements, ensure that Baekyun could not harm them.

It would be the only way I would have peace of mind that I could protect him.

And Ms. Lee.

The car turned onto Cheongdam Street or, as the locals affectionately called it, Billionaire's Row, and I started to breathe a little easier. My penthouse had the best high-level security, meaning that Baekyun would struggle to get past the cameras that showed every angle of my place and of the building. I owned the building and was selective of who occupied it with me.

Most of the occupants were people who worked for me or who I had an association with. Their backgrounds were regularly screened for any hint that they were going to turn on me, and if there was a, well, a blip, then I dealt with it swiftly.

In my line of work, one could never be too careful.

The car pulled up and Jungkook got out first, opening the door for me so I could slide out. I straightened my coat, feeling the rub of the gun at my waist before reaching in. "Let me have the boy," I told Ms. Lee, my voice rough.

She clutched him and I arched a brow, motioning with my hand much like I had with the cell phone. I didn't need her bringing unnecessary shit like the police to my front door, nor could I afford for her to be in my inner sanctum and have access to the outside.

She was about to learn what it was like to be closely associated with a 조폭 in terms of her freedom.

"Are you going to kill me?" she asked softly, still clutching our son. There was a slight tremor to her chin, but she held my gaze, and for that, I had to give her props. There weren't many that could look me in the eye for long.

"I've thought about it," I said honestly. It would be easier to just get rid of her and take our son, to not be bothered with shit like this.

But I wanted my son to know his mother. "As long as you play by the rules, that will not cross my mind again."

I could see the fear in Ms. Lee's eyes, but there was also a strength there. Good. She was going to need it. Reluctantly, she handed me the boy, and I stared into the same eyes I looked at in the mirror each morning. If this wasn't my son, then there was another Kim out there that I needed to find.

He didn't cry but stared at me with open fascination, and I cleared my throat to rid it of the emotion that was threatening to make an appearance. I hadn't given a shit about anything since my sister and nephew had died, but just one look at this kid and I could feel the need to protect him at all costs.