One.

10 years later- 2024.
Kamari (32) & Melanie (31)
____

Melanie

"Well done," my boss's assistant said to me as I walked out of the his office.

"Thank you," I replied. I have just been promoted to prosecutor and I've never been so happy.

I made it to my office and my friends were waiting for me. I just nodded and they started screaming. My assistant ran to me and hugged me.

"We knew it," he said.

"So when are we going to celebrate?" they asked

"Well we can do that when I come back. I'm going out of town for a week and it's back to work. When I come back I'll have a big case waiting for me," I replied as I packed my briefcase.

We all walked out when I was finished and I bid them goodbye. I told my parents about the possibility of me getting promoted but I know they'll be surprised to see me. Luckily it's not far from the city.

When I got to my apartment, I changed out of my work clothes and rolled my already packed suitcase to the living room. I guess you can say I knew I was going to be promoted, I worked my ass off for that. I deserve it.

I packed my necessities into a smaller bag, along with my laptop and some documents I have to look over.

Soon enough I was on my way to my parent's house. They basically live in isolation. They moved from the city when I got my second apartment because 'you never know what can happen'.

Two hours later I was pulling into the driveway of the mansion. I guess you can say I'm a trust fund kid, I work for my money but I know they think I don't notice the monthly allowance they give me.

I took my bags out and locked the car. I walked towards the door and it opened, my mom smiled big when she saw that it was me.

"My baby," she said and opened her arms.

I hugged her and closed my eyes. It feels good to be home. "Hi mommy."

She grabbed the small bag and I rolled my suitcase in, following behind her.

"Where's daddy?" I asked her because usually he'd be watching football.

"He had a call to take. You know that father of yours can never really retire," she replied.

My parents had an arranged marriage but I guess they really fell in love. Two wealthy families, wanting to bring companies together, nothing new.

"I know that ain't who I think it is," I heard his voice as he came down the stairs.

I laughed. He grinned when he saw me and I went to hug him. I'm a daddy's girl, his precious princess. "Hey daddy."

"How's my baby girl doing?" he asked when we pulled away.

"I'm good," I went to sit down next to my mother. "I got the promotion," I told them.

My mom gasped and my dad smiled proudly. "I didn't expect anything less," he said.

"Your father and I are proud of you honey," my mom said and I hugged her. I love my parents.

My mom decided to make my favourite meal for dinner; steamed bread, beef stew, mashed pumpkin, and mashed potatoes. Along with malva pudding. I decided to make the pudding because I don't want her to do all the work.

My dad retreated to the living room and my mom and I got started. I peeled the vegetables for her and got the ingredients ready for the dessert.

"So any special woman in your life?" My mom questioned.

I just smiled. They always ask me this. They were surprisingly fine with me being attracted to women when I came out to them, it's like they expected it. Well they always told me they did know because of the way I would look at my best friend but I don't know.

"No mom. I told you about my last break up and there's been no one ever since," i replied.

"I really think you should let your father and I set you up with some nice woman," she said.

"Not every arranged marriage is going to be a success mom and I'm fine, someone will come along eventually," I replied.

"Okay honey. I'm just really glad you're here."

I didn't say anything and continued what I was doing.

__

Dinner was wonderful. Now I was sprawled across the couch. Watching a series with my parents. Something we used to do when I still lived with them. 

"So when was the last time you spoke to Kamari?" my dad broke the silence.

"The day before she left the city. So about 8 years ago. We follow each other on social media but that's about it," I responded.

"Well I heard she's coming back," my mom said.

I didn't say anything. Why wouldn't she tell me?