Chapter 5

The rest of the work week passed without interruption.  It was quiet and relatively back to normal.  I hadn’t spotted Tennessee since the night he left my house.  Daniel hadn’t been back by with any tantrums.  My dad hadn’t said anything else about Tennessee’s two year hiatus, either. 

Life was easy again.  Unfortunately I was bored.  Anna had been tied up with work and Kelly was happily spending every free second she had with Mr. Jogger.  Suddenly my nights at home weren’t enough. 

That’s the only reason I could give for why I had gotten dressed up in a less than proper outfit and taken a taxi to a bar downtown.  My mind was littered with thoughts of people and things that I didn’t want to think about so I was going to drink them all away.

One of my other friends, Amelia, was meeting me there.  I’d gone to college with her and we’d been close ever since.  We didn’t see each other as often as my other best friends but she was always willing to see me when I needed it, no matter how busy she was.  She was especially willing to come out since I told her we were going to get drinks.  Amelia worked hard and wanted to play hard, too.

I was wearing a tight black dress that came to the middle of my thighs that had lace quarter length sleeves and no back.  I paired it with red high heels and stacked silver bracelets.  I curled my hair in big waves and then did casual makeup but added fire engine red lipstick as the pop.

I looked damn good and I was proud of myself for being able to put on the dress after everything I’d gone through with Daniel.  I didn’t want to think about that, though.

Amelia was already at the bar when I got there.  She was sitting at the bar, flirting with the bartender.  She was wearing a black miniskirt and a green flowing top that I knew would make her eyes pop. 

I sat at the barstool beside her and nodded to the bartender.  “A round of tequila.”

Amelia cheered and then things escalated quickly.  Our reasoning for ordering so many shots was that we had each come with the plan of buying the other person’s drinks so we just went ahead and each spent the amount we were going to spend, but just on ourselves. 

After the sixth shot of tequila we went dancing.  The music blared around us and we laughed more than we talked.  Guys tried to dance with us but we weren’t drunk enough for that yet. 

Another three shots each and we got separated on the dance floor when we each decided to dance with the different men that asked us.

Another two shots and I let my dance partner start buying my drinks.  I couldn’t remember his name but he was sexy.  He looked a lot like Chris Pratt and I could get into that.  When we danced he slid his arms around me and I was feeling so good that I didn’t think about how it may not be the best choice.

I made my way to the bathroom with Amelia, promising my dance partner that I’d be back soon.  I realized I was stumbling a bit and sighed happily.  Finally I got to be the drunk one.  Too bad Anna wasn’t present for me to give her hell.

Amelia was just as drunk as I was and slurring her speech slightly.  “I’m going home soon.  Not taking that guy, though.  He kisses like a fish.”