Chapter 27

I fought until I could barely stand.  There were no more of Sonny's men left and Daniel had started killing his own men when they lost.  It served to motivate the next fighter.  They didn't want to join the growing pile of bodies. 

I'd never had to fight for so long or so hard.  My nose had been broken again and there was a cut over my eye that was bleeding into my eye.  I couldn't even stand up straight but I wouldn't give up.  Tennessee was only going to live as long as I did. 

I could hear him in the back of my head constantly.  He never stopped fighting to get out of the chains.  When one chain finally gave away two more of Daniel's men had to fight him back. 

I was watching Daniel crumble.  He was waving his gun around and shouting out orders that didn't make any sense.  The feeling in the room had changed.  His men were nervous. 

They were whispering to each other and watching Daniel with wary eyes.  I watched as Daniel opened the face of his watch and sniffed something from it several different times until finally he ripped the watch off and threw it away from him.

I had to get Tennessee out of there as soon as I could.  Daniel clearly hadn't expected me to actually do so well.  He was stuck in his own game and wouldn't change it.  Instead he was just slowly going insane on whatever drugs he was taking.

While waiting for another man to come into the ring Daniel grew impatient and stripped out of his jacket and shirt.  He climbed into the ring and grinned at me with eyes that showed too much white. 

He placed his gun on the mat at his feet and stepped forward.  "This is it, Carter.  I'm bored watching my men fail so royally.  I should've just done this in the beginning."

I backed away from him and swallowed.  He was insane.  I didn't want to fight an insane person.  He would just attack without rhyme or reason and I wouldn't be able to anticipate what was coming. 

He came at me suddenly and grabbed my shoulders.  He dug his fingers into my skin before tossing me across the ring.  I landed in a puddle of blood and slipped when I tried to stand up. 

Before I could right myself Daniel slapped me across the face and sent me sprawling to the mat.  I tried to roll over to face him but he was suddenly on top of me, pawing at my shorts.

I screamed at the feeling of him trying to undress me and fought harder than ever.  There was no way I was going out like that.  I managed to buck my hips up hard enough to knock him to the side.  I crawled away from him before standing up and facing him.

He was already coming at me.  His hands went around my throat and squeezed before he picked me up and threw me across the ring like I weighed absolutely nothing. 

I landed hard and fought to regain my breath.  I was panicking.  I wouldn't be able to win against him.  He was on something that was making him even stronger than normal.  I pulled myself to my feet and turned just as he landed a punch to the side of my head.