Chapter 12

I've been trying to update for days!  I have the story written but the only place I can update it is at work and that's been a pain lately, so I'm going to have to come up with a different game plan.  Anyway, here's the new chapter.  Sorry for the wait!

Katy

Also, i didn't even get to read over this again before posting it because I'm having to be super sneaky.  Here's to hoping there are no embarrassing mistakes!

By the time I got Tennessee off of me I had forced myself to calm down.  I needed a clear head so I could see where they’d hit him.  I’d rolled him gently to the side so I could kneel beside him and inspect his wounds.  My heart was pounding in my chest painfully and there was a voice at the back of my head screaming at me to make sure he was okay. 

I ran my fingers over his side and arm as lightly as I could but I couldn’t find the source of the blood.  I held my breath as I danced those same fingers up the side of his head and down the back.  The blood was thicker there, oozing out between my fingers faster than I could stop it. 

Training kicked in and overrode my instinct, which was to sob uncontrollably and pray to god that he was okay.  I yanked my jacket off and balled it up before lifting Tennessee’s head and holding it against the wound.  I let his head rest on it while I jumped up and grabbed my purse from the truck. 

My phone was resting there, next to my lipstick and wallet, dead as can be.  I came back to his side and searched the pocket I’d seen him slip his into earlier.  I had just shoved my hand into his pocket when I heard a rough laugh come from his mouth.

“Jesus, sweetheart, all you had to do was ask.”

I jerked up so I could see his face.  “Ten?!”

He opened his eyes and blinked at me a few times and then sat up.  It was too fast and he swayed before I held him still.  “You’re covered in blood.”

I held the jacket to his head with shaking fingers.  “How are you okay right now?  They shot you.”

His eyes narrowed in anger as he slowly brought his hand up to the back of his head and moved the jacket so he could feel around.  “They fucking grazed me.  Jesus, that hurts.  Can’t believe I passed out from a grazing.  That’s embarrassing.”

I fell back on my butt as relief flooded over me.  I took deep breaths and closed my eyes.  I was fighting tears hard.

“Will you call Jace and tell him to come over.  He’s a master at stitches.”

I snapped my eyes open and looked at him.  He looked pale and weak, like he needed a real doctor, not Jace.  “I’m going to call 911 and we’re going to get you to the hospital so they can check you out.  You look terrible.”

“No, no hospitals.  Jace was a medic when we served together.  I’d rather him do it any day.”

I stood up and glared at him.  “Look at all the blood you’ve lost!  I’m calling an ambulance.”