Epilogue

The end is here!  Thanks so much for sticking around to the end!  I'm so excited about finishing this book.  It's the first one I've finished on here and it's given me the motivation to finish the last book I started on here.  I have another book called Blonde in Memphis that I need motivation to edit so I may start putting chapters on here as I edit them. 

Let me know what you think of the story as a whole.  I'd really appreciate it.  I hope you enjoyed it!

Katy

"Fetch!"  No matter how many times I yelled it the silly dog was not going to fetch anything other than his tail.  Experience should've taught me to quit trying. 

"Give it up, Carter.  Your dog is about as useless as they come."  Anna thought she was so funny. 

I watched as she threw a ball and her dog, Chance, went running after it like a little angel.  I looked down at Dougie and frowned.  He was a big mutt, something mixed with something else that ended up being huge and clumsy. 

I'd rescued him the week I got out of the hospital.  Anna had rescued Chance the day before and said there was one more puppy left that no one wanted.  They were going to have to put him down soon because he seemed to have some sort of weird hair situation going on that no one wanted to deal with.

I'd seen him sitting there with his tongue hanging out and took him home.  He'd had bald spots all over and they thought he was going to be blind in one eye, but I loved him right away. 

Dougie was healthy as could be after a few weeks of oatmeal baths and had grown so much that I was afraid that I'd adopted Clifford, the big red dog.  Chance was still small and cute while Dougie was just big. 

The hair that finally grew back grew in curly while the rest of his hair was straight so he wasn't exactly normal looking.  None of it mattered, though.  He was the best cuddle buddy and his breath wasn't even that bad.

I sat down next to him and he immediately put his head in my lap.  He had the energy level of a sloth, even as a puppy.  I scratched behind his ears and looked up when I heard barking in the distance. 

Amelia was walking towards us with her dog, Andi, leading the way.  She waved and unhooked Andi's leash so she could go play.  She sat down next to me and shook her head at Dougie.  "Another lazy day, Dougs?"

He lifted an ear in response to her and I pointed at it.  "See that.  I'm half convinced he's just playing dumb with me to avoid having to go get the damn ball."

She laughed and ran her hair through his fur.  "He's growing."

I sighed.  "Can't seem to stop it."

We sat around and watched the dogs play while we talked about our weeks.  Kelly was the only one of us who didn't get to come to our puppy playdates.  She'd tried to leash her cat, Henry, once, but it hadn't gone well.  After that she resorted to texting us passive aggressive things about hoping our play dates went super awesome.