Chapter 20

The next time I woke up I wasn't anywhere near as happy as the first time, which was saying a lot.  I'd seen a doctor in the ER who wanted to fix my nose as soon as possible.  They put me under and did the surgery to repair the damage while also fixing my dislocated shoulder. 

I came around to see a room full of my friends and Tennessee all staring at me.  I groaned and closed my eyes again.  "It was a minor car accident, guys.  I didn't die."

Kelly grabbed my hand and squeezed.  "Someone ran you over, Carter Angel.  We have every right to be worried.  How do you feel?"

I thought about it.  My shoulder hurt like hell but my nose was throbbing.  I could tell that both of my eyes were black by the puffy feeling.  My bottom lip hurt, too.  Overall, I felt like shit.  I looked away from her and shrugged with my good arm.  "I feel as good as could be expected.  Not too bad, though."

"Liar."  Tennessee's voice came from beside me.  He reached down and touched my sore shoulder.

I cried out and glared at him.  "What the hell is wrong with you?!"

"Call for the nurse.  You need pain meds."

"Go jump off a cliff."

"Why?  Being here with you in this mood is just as much fun."

I tried to hit him with my good arm but couldn't reach.  "I really do hate you."

He leaned down and pressed a kiss to the top of my head and patted my thigh.  "Uh huh.  I'll just go find a nurse."

I rolled my eyes at him and caught sight of everyone staring at the spot of my head he'd just kissed.  My face burned and no matter what I did to ignore their stares I couldn't.  "Go to hell, all of you."

Anna stepped forward and looked at me with her head cocked to the side.  "You slept with him."

Jace was standing behind her and chose to put in his thoughts.  "I thought Tennessee looked a lot happier."

"What the hell happened?  Carter looks angrier than ever." 

I glared at Kelly.  "Would you shut up?"

Jace laughed.  "Maybe Tennessee wasn't as pleasing as she thought he would be."

Tennessee chose that moment to walk back into the room.  "I assure you that she was very pleased.  She was, however, just hit by a truck.  So if she's in a bad mood, let's blame it on the fact that she just had surgery to fix what that broke."

I frowned.  "You shouldn't have called them.  They're more annoying than this nose is painful."

He brushed his hand over my hair.  "There's a nurse coming."