[26] Why Did You Trust Phil's Ideas AGAIN?

He closes his eyes and focuses. The leaves on the trees decorate the ground now in autumnal hues; October is coming to an end (one might say it's almost Oct- over, oh, Tubbo, you creative genius), Ranboo knows Halloween is only around the corner because Tommy and Tubbo won't shut up about it, but he--

Ranboo pulls back his thoughts.

Focuses , just like Dream told him to do.

"Your magic is really... Weird, actually."

Ranboo glances up from the TV. "How so?"

Dream was still hanging out in the house, a spectre who can't interact with anything during the day but can talk to Ranboo at night. But now that Phil knows there's a ghost haunting the halls (or, well, basically)-- things are left out. Techno is sitting in the living room reading, and the TV is on.

It's midnight news, so nothing too entertaining. But it's what Dream keeps asking for, so they leave the TV on at night to give Dream some entertainment. And Ranboo can talk to him.

So whenever Ranboo goes to sleep and feels a small tug on his soul, his consciousness-- he pushes through it and sees Dream again. The guy is pretty chill, after the panicked magic nonsense he pulled before.

"You said your magic was mind and matter, yeah?" Ranboo nods. "It's... Most of the time, when people have two opposite sorts of magic, it kind of... Contradicts, I guess."

Some weird magic about dreams let Dream understand magic better, apparently. Or maybe just Ranboo's, because they were both connected to this space. Dream with his... dream magic, and Ranboo with--

Well he's not quite sure what this second magic is, but it's definitely interesting. Tommy looked it up on google and said astral projection, but it doesn't feel like astral projection. Or what Ranboo imagines it would be.

"If someone had earth magic and air magic, it would be... Not balanced, I guess. Like how you can't stick two magnets together if they're the same magnetic energy. But the other way around, technically--"

"You're starting to lose me."

Dream laughs. It's like a tea kettle. Ranboo doesn't mind it.

"Well, okay. If Tommy had an earth gift, like, moving rocks or something, his air magic would be a lot weaker. If Phil had shadow magic, it would make his light magic weaker. The opposite types of magic conflict, usually one will be more powerful than the other."

"Okay, you're making a little more sense now."

Dream nods. "Sorry, I just-- it's like Minecraft speedruns. Learning about how magic works is just really cool, you know?"

Ranboo nods. He knows what it's like to enjoy learning something, being passionate about something. Wilbur has his music. Techno has his books and old stories, Tommy has-- well Minecraft, but other video games as well-- and Tubbo has an unfortunately worrying knowledge about building bombs.

Yeah, Ranboo doesn't want to know why Tubbo knows how to make pipe bombs, and he just is gonna pretend he forgot that information.

"No, no, it's fine. Go on."

"Right, so opposite magics usually push against each other, but your magic is... Perfectly balanced." Dream holds both his hands out and then clasps them together for a visual metaphor. "Almost like your magic is both mind and matter, at the same time. Which I've never heard of before."