chapter 9 // payback

"Up against the wall like like, Let's go, let's go"

SAM

I woke up and could smell breakfast, which made me hungry enough to sit up on the couch. I stumbled into the kitchen and Johnny was making breakfast.
"What time is it?" I asked
"7:15am" he said "you should get dressed for school 'cause we'll be walking. Your dad already left for work, he told me to tell you he'll be home late."
I was used to barely seeing my dad. Even back in Oregon he was always working so we could move away.

Today was gonna be a fun day. I searched through my wardrobe to find some sort of "soc" clothes. I didn't want it to seem to obvious, but I wanted to look fancy enough that my plan would work. Even though I would probably be uncomfortable for most of the day I knew it would be worth it. I put on a pastel yellow cardigan with a matching lace skirt. I didn't really use makeup, but I knew how to do mascara and blush and lipstick. I walked out in the sitting room and Johnny was waiting for me on the couch. When he looked up his eyes widened.
"What has you all dolled up?"

We walked to Ponyboy's house and knocked on the door. As usual, Soda answered and he had to look twice at me before saying "Sam, you look....nice?" I thanked him and walked inside. When Ponyboy came down the stairs and saw me he didn't look confused, just astonished.
"Why are you dressed up?" He asked.
"Just felt like it."
I could tell he was suspicious but he didn't say anything more.

When we got to school I could hear people mouthing saying going to Oregon "changed me". That was the one thing I hope Ponyboy didn't think. I was just dressing like this for today. Tomorrow I would be back to normal. I wanted to make Ponyboy jealous and I knew exactly how to do it. When the bell rang for lunch, I got my food and instead of sitting with Ponyboy and Johnny, I walked over to a group of soc boys and sat with them.

PONYBOY

What is she doing? Why is she talking to the boys that poured water all over her?
"Damn Pony, she really is a wild one." Johnny said.
Even from afar I could tell she was flirting with them. Ugh. Why was she doing this?Was she dressed up like a soc because I was talking to Cherry last night? I had no idea. All I know is that I don't like this. I was angry. But it was more than anger. Was I jealous?

I guess it would look weird if she sat with us. She looked too pretty to sit with us today. Not even too pretty, just too dolled up. I think she looks prettier when she's wearing her worn out jeans with one of her dads flannels, and when her hair falls naturally down her back. The bell rang and she got up and left for class without even looking at us.

SAM

I didn't like maths, so I decided to just walk around the school hoping a teacher wouldn't catch me. It felt weird skipping a class even though I looked like a soc. This cardigan was itchy and I just wanted to be in my own clothes again. God I hope me flirting with the soc boys made Ponyboy mad or something, or else I did that for nothing.

I was roaming around the halls and within a second I was yanked into an empty classroom. It was Ponyboy. I guess he didn't like maths either. Before he turned around to say anything he quickly locked the door.
"What are you-" I didn't finish my sentence. My back was against the cold wall and he stood hovering over me. I wasn't looking at him but I could tell he was looking at me.
He lifted my chin so my eyes would meet his and said "I think you're prettier when you're not dressed like a soc." He thinks I'm pretty? Why do I feel nervous. I've never been nervous around him.
"You know, without all this makeup."
I didn't know what to say. What was I supposed to say to that?

"Well maybe you can help get rid of this lipstick." I whispered while placing my hands around his neck and pulling him down towards me. He smirked and then pressed his lips against mine. I had kissed people before but not like this. This was different. We both wanted it. And had wanted it for a while now. His hands were on my waste, while mine were in his hair. He bit my lip softly, which made me gasp, allowing his tongue to become intertwined with mine. Damn he was a good kisser. He slowly started moving down to my neck. I really didn't want to stop and I could tell he didn't either because he started unbuttoning my cardigan.
"No, Ponyboy, we're in school. We can't." I gently pushed him off of me.
Before he could reply the bell rang so he helped me button up my cardigan as fast as he could.

We stepped out hoping no one would notice the fact we came out of an empty classroom. We saw Johnny at the end of the hall, where we said we would meet after school.
"Oh Sam, your lipstick is all messed up!" Johnny said, trying to help me fix it.
"Thanks dumbass." I whispered to Ponyboy.
"You're the one who asked." He mumbled.
"Shut up." I rolled my eyes.