18

Jungwon hates it when it rains.

Especially when they're out in the middle of nowhere and have nothing to shield themselves with from the harsh water dropping down on them.

The droplets are big and fat and they're falling down fast. Jungwon tries to use his backpack as a makeshift umbrella, but it's not really helping.

"C'mon, Canada," Tampa nudges him with his shoulder, but he's got his hands wrapped around himself and he can hear his teeth chattering a little. "It's not that bad."

"You couldn't even get a word of that sentence out without sounding like your teeth are about to fall out." Jungwon grimaces when more droplets hit his glasses, making it that much harder to see. "'Sides, you don't also have to deal with not being able to see clearly."

Tampa doesn't respond to that. Instead, he nudges Jungwon again and points out an old payphone booth up a little ways ahead and they immediately rush towards it.

It's a little cramped when they step inside, sliding down to sit, but Tampa is warm and soft against him despite the rain, so Jungwon doesn't really mind being pressed up against him. He actually leans into the touch.

"You're freezing," Tampa huffs out, teeth still chattering but he doesn't move away from Jungwon either. He shifts and moves to lean closer to Jungwon's side. Jungwon feels a warm hum run through his body.

They stay like that for who knows how long. Sitting on the floor of an old phone booth, pressed up against each other, rain pattering against the glass in its own little beat, as they wait for it to pass so they can keep walking.

Jungwon's about to ask Tampa a question when he feels the man's head slip down onto his shoulder, chest rising up and down slowly, breathing soft and even.

Jungwon's breath stills and he looks down at Tampa's face, soft and unguarded, mouth slightly open and Jungwon's heart tightens a little at the sight.

He shifts a little, careful to not jostle Tampa, and leans back to rest his head against the booth. And then tentatively to rest lightly on top of Tampa's.

The water droplets on his glasses haven't dried yet, and he stares at them until he starts to feel sleepy.

He falls asleep to the sound of rain and the calm, slow breathing of the boy sleeping on his shoulder.

It's the first night in a long time where he doesn't have a nightmare.