Chapter 17: The Last Supper/The Illusion Of Choice

Taehyun stared into Beomgyu's eyes, trying to process what he had just said. If Taehyun didn't know any better, he would say that Beomgyu looked scared. Beomgyu was staring back at him just as intensely, watching his reaction and every slight change of expression. Taehyun moved his hand from its place on Beomgyu's waist, instead placing it on top of Beomgyu's hand which was still holding his cheek.

"Hyung..." Taehyun whispered, giving Beomgyu's hand a light squeeze.

"I love you," Beomgyu repeated, louder this time. He looked like he was going to cry.

Taehyun crashed their lips together roughly, rolling them over so that he was pinning Beomgyu to the bed. The kiss was passionate, but without lust. Taehyun kissed Beomgyu like their time was running out, and he wanted to spend the rest of it with his lips against Beomgyu's. He wished they could stay together forever like this; wrapped in each other's arms, mouths melded together like yin and yang, hearts beating as one, but he knew that it was impossible. Beomgyu was hesitant in kissing back at first, shocked by Taehyun's forwardness, but eventually started molding his lips against Taehyun's, their mouths fitting perfectly together like they were two halves of a whole.

"I...love...you...too...hyung," Taehyun mumbled between kisses, never wanting to stop. He didn't notice he was crying until his tears dripped down onto Beomgyu's face, causing the older to flinch. Beomgyu broke the kiss, bringing a hand up to stroke Taehyun's hair.

"Taehyun-ah, what's wrong?" Beomgyu asked, concern etched all over his face and present even in his voice. Taehyun only started crying harder, sobs wracking his entire body. He was falling apart at the seams, and he didn't know how much longer he would be able to hold himself together.

"I love you so much, hyung. I love you, I love you, I love you," Taehyun cried, connecting their lips again. Beomgyu knotted his fingers in Taehyun's hair, holding him close and keeping him from pulling away.

They stayed that way for a while, too immersed in each other to care about anything or anyone else. Neither one of them wanted to be the one to break the kiss, but eventually they both ran out of breath, panting and pulling apart at the same time.

"Why are you crying? Don't cry," Beomgyu whispered while trying to catch his breath, moving his hands from Taehyun's hair to wipe the tears off his cheeks.

Taehyun didn't know how to respond. He didn't have the heart to come up with a lie. He didn't want to lie. He knew that within the next week, nothing would ever be the same. He cried because he knew they could never be together. He cried because of Kai. He cried because he felt guilty. He cried because he felt he had betrayed Soobin. But most of all, he cried because he was so deeply in love with Beomgyu that it hurt. Beomgyu had slowly entered his body, growing in his veins and entering his bloodstream. The infection spread too quickly, before Taehyun even knew it was there, and now it was too late.

Taehyun was in love with Beomgyu.

He didn't know what to do. He didn't know how to answer Beomgyu's question.

"H-hyung..." Taehyun stuttered, hiccuping from crying so intensely. He leaned down and buried his head in the junction where Beomgyu's shoulder and neck met. Beomgyu rubbed his back in an attempt to calm him down.

Beomgyu didn't ask again, which Taehyun was grateful for. Both of them wished they could stay together forever like this, wrapped in the comfort of each other's arms. But it was always meant to end, even from the beginning, there was no chance that anything different could have transpired. Taehyun knew this, yet he still fell in love anyway. He was so stupid. What was he going to do now?

Once Taehyun had stopped crying, he rolled off of Beomgyu, laying on his back and staring at the ceiling. Beomgyu watched him carefully, still confused and concerned. He wanted to ask why Taehyun was so upset, but he didn't want to push it in case there was a painful reason behind why Taehyun was so afraid of loving and being loved.