Chapter 2: Caught Red-handed

Agatha and Ursa wouldn't be able to stay flying for long, by morning they were already starting to feel hungry and thirsty, so Ursa pointed them to a nearby town she'd heard of so they could get supplies and maybe some maps of the country, they brought the train down as they approached and parked it hidden in a small clearing, then the girls went together into town, looking to find some means to get by just for the near future, as luck would have it, a very important opportunity was waiting just around the corner...

A young red haired man who preferred to go just by his first name was leaning against a wall, gathering his thoughts. He had the plan, he had the smarts, he had the stuff, he just needed the extra hands, someone desperate enough to take the risks and not ask about a big cut...

"We're gonna need a way to make money." Said Ursa, pushing Agatha's wheelchair along the busy streets "and I don't think people are gonna be super keen on hiring two teenagers that came out of nowhere."

The man reacted instantly upon hearing them, "Perfect!", and pushed himself off the wall, catching the coin he was flipping with a flourish and quickly turning to the girls and extending a gloved hand, he wore a dapper suit and a cheeky smile. "Good morning, young ladies! Haven't seen you around here, are you two looking for a quick job?"

Agatha was a bit stunned by this sudden encounter, so it was all she could do to put her hand out, which the young man vigorously shook.

"Who are you and what the hell do you want with us?" said Ursa, clearly on edge.

"The name's Lawrence, and there's no need to be so rude. I want to take you two to lunch, my treat; I know this great place downtown. There, we can discuss a way you can both make 100 shillings in less than a week."

The two girls glanced at each other, this man was twelve kinds of shady, but 200 total pounds was enough for not only basic supplies, but probably a few mattresses and an ice box, maybe even some coal(they hypothesized that maybe giving the train's engine some steam might make Agatha less tired from flying).

"We'll talk over lunch, but we do reserve the right to back out even if you pay for us!" Ursa answered, eyeing Lawrence suspiciously

"Of course, of course. Right this way, then!" The redhead did something close to a twirl turning back and leading them quickly down an alley.

At the restaurant, Lawrence had impeccable table manners, even better than Agatha's, and definitely than Ursa's, who was scarfing down an expensive cut of beef when he asked "So, I've told you ladies my name, it would be rude if you didn't give me yours."

"I'm Agatha Clarke, it's a pleasure to meet you. And this is Ursa Martin," said the white-haired girl, Ursa just mumbled in agreement while still chewing.

"Now, an illustrious coal baron, mr. Robert Evans, is coming to town with an entourage to visit the local mines, which have been drying up for a few decades. And I'd wager, with proper prestidigitation we can make a deal with him that shall be quite lucrative for us." Lawrence explained with a devilish smile.

"So you're a scammer." Ursa said matter-of-factly.

"I prefer to think of myself as a merchant that really knows how to make a sale." He said, entirely unperturbed.

"Alright, I'm down to scam a coal baron, what's the game?"

"I'm glad you've asked, partner."

Over the next few days, Lawrence brought the girls over to where he'd been staying, it was a small hotel room, surprising considering the apparent quality of his suit, Ursa had to carry Agatha's chair up, since there were only stairs. There, he showed them a few large bags of oddly shaped rocks he'd collected plus some soot-based paint, "made it myself!" he commented with a wink.