10. In The Library

The day was bright and quiet. Everything was going on well. The palace council meeting with the King and queen was going on. Since she had nothing to do, Iris decided to visit the library unknown to her, her husband Kai and Palin were also making their way to the library.

Palin loved attention but not the one she was receiving right now. The kingdom people it seems took a strong dislike to her and glared at her before slightly bowing to the prince. Prince Kai thought it was because of her being an outsider until he realized they were walking hand in hand which was greatly a gesture that could be frowned upon by the people since he was married and she was a mere consort whose job was to bear a heir to the throne.

Realizing this he quickly let go of Palin's hand and walked on towards the library. Palin was momentarily taken aback and hurt by that gesture. She held her tears back and decided to hold onto her left self respect and go back to her chambers back to the palace.

"Greetings your majesty," Sir Oslo bowed to Iris who had walked in.

She smiled at him and nodded as she passed on looking  at the shelves. She wondered how she would ever find what she wanted if ever she knew what. But nothing would hurt on looking and she did that.

She was confused by a lot of things: the savior and what was the vivid voice she heard all about? Where was she supposed to go? The voice had led her to something important, the identity of Palin but it kept on calling her to go, but where and how, she wasn't one bit aware of it.

If only she could find a book on the savior. She bit her lip worriedly before an idea struck her mind. Sir Oslo was old enough to know where all the ancient books were so she would ask him. She made her way where he was engrossed in a book.

"sir Oslo?"
He closed the booked abruptly and stood up and bowing.
"I have a few questions for you if you don't mind, please sit"

"yes, your majesty"

Iris was getting irritated with the title and the show of formality in his behavior. She remembered how while growing up she would always come here to disturb him and loot his snack savings. She smiled as she sat down at that memory.

"Is there a book in the library about the Saviors?"

"There should be, but...." Oslo hesitated for a moment. He had seen a lot of these books around but was Iris ready for the revelation? He wondered silently.

Sir Oslo was almost nearing hundred years. He knew a lot. He was aware of Iris' dilemma and why she needed to read the books.

"but...?" Iris had noticed the hesitant look on sir oslo's face. She wondered if he was afraid of what she would find out or what she could never find out.

After contemplating for a while, Sir Oslo led Iris to the last shelve at the far end and pushed one book. After a while, Iris watched in owe as a secret compartment open next to the shelve. He motioned her to get in.

"Ring this when you are done, your maj...!

" Okay. "Iris cut him off and disappeared down the stairs. This kingdom had a lot of secrets, she thought and wondered if one of these days she would push a tree and a secret world would be revealed. She laughed at a absurd thoughts and gaped at the wonderful sight in front of her.

The secret stairs led to an open source library below. Ancient drawings, items and books scattered the place. It looked magical. In the middle of the room stood a golden table and on it a book. THE ANCIENT BOOK OF SAVIORS. This was what she was looking for, this could carry all the answers and may be a solution to the problem at hand. Without a savoir would they fight  to the end or would it be the end of them all.

She walked up to the book and softly grazed her fingers across each word on the cover. She then sat down and opened the first page of the book.

*********
Kai walked passed the army parade who bowed and continued with training. Even though people thought he would never make a good leader because he never seemed to care, Kai knew he cared. He was worried. He of course knew that without the savior on his side, his kingdom and his people would have a bad ending. Iris was a good fighter, but she lacked one thing that was needed, magic. That was only possessed by the savior.

He also knew that if it ever came to the war a d the kingdom lost, then darkness would take over, forever. This war was the only determinant of which realm would rule. It was the last war. The biggest one. He wondered why the goddess would let such a thing happen now and not earlier.

Lost in thoughts he didn't realize he had entered the library and sir Oslo had already bowed waiting to be recognized.

"Arise"

Sir Oslo knew that the Prince was also here for what iris wanted but he also knew the bad blood between them. He didn't desire to get his library in chaos when he let those two work together.

"Sir Oslo, can I get some ancient books on the chosen one?"

"Y-yes. Wait here."
He wouldn't be foolish enough to show him the secret chamber. He remembered her words quite well. 'only she could see, touch and read it'

Later on Kai sat down to read a book on the ancient wars after finding out from sir Oslo that that was the only available book related with the topic of his concern.

****
The familiarity of the surrounding was unnerving to Iris. The trees cast gloomy shadows on her path. Then it was quiet. Quiet. She lifted her eyes and saw her. The goddess, she was here. The thought of that made her excited.

"You have to come." the goddess said quietly as if she was loosing her voice all together.

She tried to open her mouth and ask but the goddess had disappeared. The surroundings changed again and she was back in the library holding the book and still on the first page!

*****
Vote
Comment
Share