Part 6

"Are-are you sure?"

"Yes! The twins heard it! She said it twice!" I said smiling. I had called my husband to tell him the news of our daughter's first words. Of course he was bummed out that he missed it, but he was happy enough that she started speaking.

"I wish I was right there. I want to hear her. Hold her..."

"I'm sure they'll let you come back soon."

"They're actually letting me come back." I perked up.

"Really? When?"

"Next week, once the autobot's spacecraft is finished with it's update code I'll be on a plane to come back. But of course..they'll be expecting you here." He said sadly. That's how it was. I stay home, he works, then when he stays home, I work. Only time we could be together if for Christmas and sometimes Thanksgiving.

"As long as you spend time with her, let her get to know you, that'll all that matters. Will you be taking her to Chicago with your sister?"

"Yes, apparently she found another boyfriend. I'll be meeting her and giving him the 'talk'." He chuckled. I did too.

"Try not to scare him. You know she wants a nice life."

"Yeah, I know. I hope he's better than the last one. I don't want her to binge watch Shrek 2 every day." I laughed.

"But it's a good movie!"

"You're not wrong, but watching it over and over even with normal breaks? Yeah, no." I smiled and shook my head. "Will you take the twins with you?"

"Will you be fine on your own?" I asked.

"Of course. What could possibly happen in Chicago? Besides the weather." I chuckled.

"I guess you're right." I said yawning at the end.

"You're tired. Go to sleep." I nodded rubbing my eyes. He blew me a kiss and I blew him one before his camera shut off. I closed my laptop and smiled. I held Sherry in my arms as I stood up and placed her back down into the crib. I put her blanket on top of her and her sheep.

"Good night Sherry. Have a nice dream." I kissed her head then walked to the window. "Goodnight twins."

"Night Boss!" They said in unison before changing back to their Alt-forms. I nodded and walked to my room and jumped on my bed, slipping into a deep slumber.

-/-

I looked behind me one last time seeing big bright brown eyes stare at me from afar. Sherry held a sad face. She reached her tiny arms and made 'grabby' hands towards me. I smiled and walked back to her.

"I'll be back. I promise." I muttered and kissed her head. I took off my dog tags and placed them around her neck before walking away to the court yard. I saw a chopper waiting for me. The twins were being transported via ship. As I walked closer to the chopper I blocked the dust from my eyes and got on.

"Good to see you again Commander Manuela!" A solider shouted at me with a salute. He shouted to be heard over the sound of the propellers.

"It's good to be back! How's Colonel Lennox?" I asked.

"It's been hectic but he's managed!" He laughed. I chuckled and nodded, strapping myself to my seat and placing my headphones on. I could hear the pilot speak before we were lifted off the ground. Then we were off. I was updated on the things that had been happening around base. Dino scared most of the soldiers, which I can't find surprising, he barely tolerates me. Sideswipe and Jazz were buddies, Ironhide and Que made were more focused on weapons and such, and Bumblebee was just bumblebee.

I saw that one of the soldiers kept glancing at my robotic leg. I raised a brow.

"Are you a new recruit or something?" I asked him. Everyone turned to us.

"Um yes ma'am."

"What's your name kid?" He was a young man, looked to be about 19. With curly hair and a mole on his left cheek.

"M-my name is Ricardo, Ma'am!" I nodded.

"Why did you join NEST?" He looked surprised by my question.

"I joined because...five years ago Mission city was attacked! I had relatives living there. After the fight was finished, the dead were counted, injured were looked over. My grandpa, he was counted." I heard him explain sadly. My face soften. "I want to fight those Decepticons and avenge my grandparents! I want to protect my family! Ma'am!"

"...that's a good answer, Soldier!" I shouted. "I hope to see you on the field busting a cap in their asses! All of you!"

"Yes, Ma'am!" They all shouted in unison. I just hope they all walk out the battlefield alive.

"Flight crew, prepare for landing. Arriving to NEST HQ!" I looked over to see Washington D.C. underneath us. We soon began descending on top of a building with a big letter H on the floor. Then we hit the ground. We all took off our straps and took off our headphones as they escorted me inside.

A few soldiers saluted us as we entered. I could hear speaking inside and such. I was taken to a spot with a bunch of people gathered around. I noticed Lennox turn my way.

"Welcome back, Commander!"

"Good to be back, Colonel." I said, taking off my cap.

"Bowie!" I heard a voice. I saw Que hunched over as he waved.

"Good to see you again Que." He gave me a curt nod.

"You came back on time. They're about to land." Lennox said. I nodded as I was given another set of headphones. I placed it on and pulled the mic towards my mouth. Lennox pulled a chair for me to sit. I thanked him and sat down.