Chapter 20

"We've missed you!" Frankie says as she and Z wrap you in a hug.

"It's only been 3 days" you say with a strained voice, as they are squeezing your body.

"3 days too long. You're here early, come sit with us" Z says.

"I actually have to go talk to Lenny, but I'll come back out after if there's enough time before we open" you say, starting to walk to the door.

"Lenny's not here—" Z starts to say before she's cut off by Frankie.

"He left us in charge" Frankie says excitedly.

"Can you believe he did that? Like we're totally the boss right now" Z says, almost as if she's just now realizing.

"Oo you're right, we are the boss. Y/N as your boss, I am ordering you to come sit with us" Frankie says with a funny stern voice.

    You laugh at their silly antics and make your way over to the curb to sit next to them. Frankie opens a pack of cigarettes and reaches her arm toward you, offering you one. You instinctually accept, pop it in your mouth, and light it with the lighter she handed you. The three of you catch up with random things that happened on your days off. It feels good to have a normal conversation, especially right now when you're feeling a little down about how Lizzie was acting before she dropped you off.

"What'd you need to talk to Lenny about?" Z asks.

"Oh, I just need a few days off this week. I have to fly home to take care of a few things. I guess I'll just have to call him" you say as you take your phone out of your pocket.

"He's on some spiritual retreat in Joshua Tree. His phone is off and he wont be back until Sunday" Z says.

"Well damn" you say under your breath, putting your phone back in your pocket.

"Hey, we're the boss remember?" Frankie says, nudging you with her shoulder.

"Oh my god I already forgot, we are aren't we? Well as interim boss, I say take the days you need" Z says excitedly.

"Me too. When do you leave?" Frankie asks.

"Tomorrow" you respond.

"Well in that case, I also say you should go ahead and head home now so you can pack" Frankie says with a soft smile.

"Really? You're going to be good here without me?" You ask, rather surprised.

"Mentally, no. Physically, yes. It's a Tuesday night and Shawn has been up my ass about wanting more hours so I'm sure he'll be happy to cover for you" Frankie says.

"Okay yeah— thank you, thank you!" You say as you wrap Frankie in your arms, pulling her into you.

    Frankie stays coddled into your chest a little longer than you had anticipated. You slowly start to pull away, signaling she probably should too. Once the two of you have returned to your original positions, you share a shy stare, almost as if she's trying to tell you something with her eyes. You shake it off and pull out your phone to call Lizzie. You hope he hasn't gotten too far, maybe she'll come back and pick you up.

"Okay weirdos... Come on Frankie we need to go set up the bar before open, bye Y/N. Be safe " Z says, giving you and Frankie inquisitive looks.

"Bye Y/N, have fun on your trip. Bring me back a present" Frankie says as she stands up to go inside. Before she does, she leans over to kiss the top of your head. That was weird.

    After the girls go back inside, you call Lizzie. The phone rings for longer than you liked but she finally picks up right when you accepted the fact that it was going to go to voicemail.