Chapter 3: A Hero is Born

The sky was clear as Link and Zelda glided along in the warm breeze under the noon sun

The sky was clear as Link and Zelda glided along in the warm breeze under the noon sun. It was the one day a year when Knights weren't on their regular patrol-- as they were back in town around the bazaar either cheering up or giving tips to the Knights-in-training who failed the Wing Ceremony-- so the open air was empty and quiet. There didn't seem to be anything else around either. No free Loftwings waiting to find their companion, no great Vultures lurking in hollow islands to snap at passerby, and even some of the other smaller towns or farming islands were closed as their occupants were all in Skyloft for the celebrations. Days like this, calm and quiet, were hard to come by.

Link laid back, lazily staring up at nothing as he took it all in, and Zelda flew up beside him.

"...Link?" Zelda asked. "Hey, Link!"

Link looked up at her. "Yeah?"

"Today was amazing," she smiled. "Watching you win the race and performing the ritual together..." She looked away, staring at the endless horizon of clouds. "I'll always remember this. It really was wonderful."

Link smiled. "The way you say that," he noticed. "... I feel like you're leading to a downside here."

Zelda slowed down a bit and Link matched her speed, nearly stopping.

"You know... Link," Zelda started. "There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

Suddenly she fell quiet.

"And that is...?" Link looked over his shoulder at her, not watching ahead.

Then there was a flash of light and Link started paying attention.

"What is that?" Zelda exclaimed, gusts of wind forcing them back.

The sky darkened and before they knew what hit them a black tornado formed. Their Loftwings lost control and spiraled away from each other, the tornado only getting bigger. Lightning flashed from inside, striking out sporadically in random directions. It was coming right for them, pulling them in.

"What's going on?" Link shouted.

Unable to move or control his bird, Link was helpless as he saw the strong winds knock Zelda off her Loftwing. She tumbled downward in the storm as their birds chirped in fear. Zelda screamed, calling for help, but Link couldn't get close enough.

As she began to disappear into the darkened clouds below, Link made a desperate dive to try and save her. But the winds were too powerful, and the sheer force of the winds threw him up into the grey sky. His Loftwing toppled, unconscious, and Link was quickly following.

___

Again Link found himself swallowed by the darkness, but this time he was falling. As the air rushed around him he heard the voice again, same as the one from the strange light in his dream.