Chapter 11: Second Trial; Nayru's Wisdom

"I recommend Lanayru Desert next," Fi said as she appeared beside Link

"I recommend Lanayru Desert next," Fi said as she appeared beside Link. She floated along with him as he traveled above the clouds on his Loftwing. "It is closer to your current location."

Link nodded, changing course to head west. Then he noticed Fi staring at him. "Anything else?" he asked.

"Through this journey you have changed expressions many times," Fi noticed. "It is strange to me that you can have so many."

"Well," Link said. "I guess... that's just Humans?"

"No," Fi corrected, staring forward now. "It is Mogma, and Dragons as well. Even monsters you have faced and Ghirahim..."

"I--"

"Let us return to the mission," Fi returned to the sword, not letting Link give an answer.

"... Right," Link mumbled.

He sped up his bird, coming up on the hole in the barrier leading to Lanayru. "Alright," Link huffed, getting ready to drop. He patted his bird's head. "I'm off." He dropped down again as his bird circled back around to Skyloft.

As Link fell he went through the last trial in his head again. The mass of skeletons swarming him, the giant Bokoblins which Fi had later told him might've been something like Moblins. But Link had faced some of them before at Eldin and those were considerably smaller.

But then there was Zelda.

He wondered if he made the right decision, rushing to save her without a real plan. He wished someone would explain it to him, but he was too stunned facing the Dragon Faron to ask.

Still, Link thought. It's not like I'm gonna give up after that.

As he landed on the sand dunes of the Lanayru Desert he drew his sword, expecting enemies to come out of the sand again. Though this time, none came.

He spun in place, not sure which way he'd gone last time to find the web-shaped ruins. "Which... way... to... go..." He stopped, facing what he thought was the way he went last time. "Fi, you led me in the right direction last time, right?"

Fi appeared, facing north. "Yes."

"Can you sense the Guardians the same way you sensed Zelda?"

"I do not sense anything."

"Do you have to be close enough?"

"No," Fi answered, turning to him. "I do not sense anything. There is only sand, nothing more."

"What do you mean nothing?" Link asked.

Fi floated a ways away, pointing to the ground. Following her, Link saw a pile of broken bones on the ground. Paying more attention, the desert seemed to be littered with them.