Chapter 15: Zelda

Link stepped out of the Gate of Time, and back into the Sealed Temple

Link stepped out of the Gate of Time, and back into the Sealed Temple. The differences were immediately obvious; the stone was more polished, none of the columns were cracked, and the ceiling was still whole. The building was practically brand new. Then there was the door at the back of the room, at the top of the stairs where the old woman would sit. It was open slightly, and there was a golden light shining through the crack.

Before Link could hurry up those steps however, he heard someone behind him. He turned, seeing Impa standing beside the Gate of Time, waiting for him.

"... At last, I've been expecting you, Link." She had the same usual scowl, as if she were still disappointed in him, even after all this.

"I'm not late this time," Link told her.

Impa nodded, crossing her arms and looking down at him. "You are doubtless overwhelmed, so I will explain things as simply as I can." She looked around them, at the temple. "This is the Temple of Hylia, though it will come to be known as the Sealed Temple sometime in the future. You stand in the past, ages before your own time."

Link looked back at the front entrance to the temple, thinking of the Imprisoned. "So, the beast that's sealed away..."

"Here the Goddess, Hylia, has only just sealed away Demise..." She looked up. "And little time has passed since she sent the outcropping of rock into the sky that would one day become Skyloft... It is true to its name. You have passed through the Gate of Time to an era in the distant past."

"How does that even work?" Link asked, facing the Gate. "A passage between two times... And Demise... Eldin said something like that."

Impa stepped away. "You will have many questions," she said. "But for now you must proceed back through the great doors behind you."

She gestured to the doors at the top of the steps, where the golden light shone through. "It is there that the person you've risked life and blood to defend waits for you."

Link turned to the door. "Right," he nodded. "But eventually... I would like some answers."

Impa motioned for Link to pass and he made his way to the door. He held his hand up to block some of the light as he entered, closing the door behind him. And... there she was, standing on a platform on the far side of the room. She wore a different dress than the one she'd been wearing when she fell beneath the clouds. It was a clean white dress with faint outlines of runes sewn into the hems, and her sandals, bracelets, and hair clips were made of a soft blue crystal, but the bracelets had the Loftwing Crest carved into them as well. At her side hung the golden harp, which she had kept all this time.

"Zelda," Link said, standing just off of the platform.

Zelda turned and looked down at him. It was the first time either of them really got to see each other since she fell beneath the clouds. Neither of them resembled who they were just two days ago... so much had happened since then.