Chapter 8: Lanayru Desert

Link crash landed into the sand, skidding down one of the dunes and tumbling until the ground was finally flat enough for the momentum to stop

Link crash landed into the sand, skidding down one of the dunes and tumbling until the ground was finally flat enough for the momentum to stop. He groaned, sitting up and brushing the sand off him. There weren't a lot of places nearby that were much safer for landing, everything was either steep sandy slopes or giants rocks. He'd seen something that looked like a building in the distance, but this was about as close as he could get falling from the sky.

Then Fi appeared. "Danger detected," she told him.

Link jumped to his feet, quickly clasping the sailcloth back over his shoulder and drawing his sword and shield. "Already?" he scoffed. "Whoa!"

The sand shifted beneath him and a large electric snail crept out.

"Back!" Link shouted, bashing it with his shield. The electricity shot through the shield, sending a jolt of pain up Link's arm.

"Fi!" Link shouted as more of the snails came out of the sand.

"I sense the spirit maiden nearby as well," Fi added.

Link rolled out of the way of one of the snails spinning towards him. "Which way?"

"This way," Fi pointed north before returning to the sword.

Link ducked as a large bird nearly bit his head off. The monsters swarmed him, and maneuvering was nearly impossible. His boots felt heavier than ever as they filled with sand, yet the monsters seemed to have no problem staying above ground.

Knowing it would only sap his strength further to continue fighting, Link pushed off in the direction Fi pointed. He slid down another sand dune, doing a better job of keeping his footing this time, and escaped the danger the monsters presented.

At least for the time being.

As he climbed over the next hill in his path he saw a large ruins further down. It spread out like a web, but it looked old and broken. So many of the walls had completely fallen apart, all that was left was a cracked foundation and some dust.

"Is that where she is?" Link asked.

"No," Fi answered. "She is passed these ruins. There is a path to the west, that is where we must go."

"Understood," Link nodded. He dropped down from a short ledge, keeping a tight grip on his sword as he stomped through the sand.

It was easy enough to get through the desert, walking through the broken parts of the ruins and avoiding the quicksand areas. His shield might not have been very useful against the electric snails, but it kept away the vultures. The only real problem he had was the sun beating down on him, and the feeling of time running out.

He kept repeating the woman's words in his head, how he'd been late... "I'm no failure," Link growled, standing on the last sand dune looking down at the rock tunnel that Fi was leading him to. In the distance he could see the spires of an ancient temple, old and broken as they were.