Today

I walked down the hall with my head held too high. People said hey to me in the hall and I smiled back at them cockily. I looked ahead and I saw Jack. He looked too young, much younger than the rest in our grade, and yet he had more maturity in his eyes. He was looking down, and I wished he had looked up. Everyone should look up. Since he wasn't looking up, he bumped into me, even though I was too busy looking at him I was the one who should've moved. I blamed him since my friends were looking at me.

"Sorry Cupid," he mumbled. Why did he look so sad?

"Whatever...watch it fag," I said, and once I saw the horribly hurt expression on his face I regretted it. Why did I say that? I've never had anything against Jack. We're friends. It's because the other people don't like him. Why did they influence me?

"Haha, nice one Cupid!"

"Look at him cry!"

Cry? He's crying? Before I could see any tears, he turned and ran away. I felt like an ass through the day. Once I got home, I wanted to ask my parents how to apologize. Though once I entered the kitchen Mom was sitting on a chair, her knees pulled up, and Dad was pacing the kitchen.

"I'm sorry Joli, but I can't. I just - I don't know what to do."

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to."

"But what do you want?!"

"I don't need anything."

He looked at her desperately. I set my bag down and that's when he seemd to notice me. He furrowed his eyes and said, "Cupid, go to your room now. We're in the middle of something."

"What did I do?"

"Just GO."

I frowned. Fine. I guess I won't figure out a way to apologize.

-

-

-

-

"I brought you some breakfast."

"Thanks Jack."

He set down some food next to me and curled into bed with me. "How are you feeling?"

I sighed. "Fine." I was still mourning. I had accepted the fact that she was gone, but I still needed some time. "When was the last time you showered?" I asked, because he smelt fine, but I could see that his hair was greasy.

"I could ask you the same question."

I smiled softly at him and put my hand on his cheek. I kissed him and said, "You can go take a shower. I'm just gonna eat and eventually get out of this bed."

"Okay." He kissed me before leaving the room with a pair of my clothes.

I sat up and ate some food. Dad walked by and stopped in my doorway. "How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Okay."

He came in and sat on the bed next to me, leaning against the headboard. I handed him a donut and he took a bite. We both sighed and continued eating. "What do you want for your birthday?" he asked, since my birthday was in a few weeks.

"I don't know," I mumbled.

"Maybe we could take some type of vacation."

"We have to be home for Christmas."

"I know. Maybe some time before that we could leave and come home the day after your birthday or something."

"Just us?"